Fly Rod Holders for fishing frame? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-12-2011   #11
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCash View Post
Thanks for the ideas. I decided to go the cheap route for now and built them out of pvc conduit. Went out yesterday and they were flawless. Good protection for $15 and no more hanging rods over the stern hoping they don't get broken. Now the only challenge is finding a better way to attach them to the frame (other than zip ties, bungees, tape, etc.).

I'm thinking of making a bracket similar to a U-bolt because I still want to be able to remove them if I'm not fishing. Any other ideas?

I use the Scott holder
Scotty Fly Rod Holder at REI.com

something like this but mine has a webbing base designed to secure to float tubes so I can strap around a rolled paco or side rails or .....anywhere. I also fabricated some ubolts and a plastic tube type thing for a couple of more holders. Not as adjustable as the Scott but still works.

carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011   #12

Denver, Colorado
I use PVC and modeled it after the riverboatworks ones. 3/4" wide slot and leave about 2' at the tip and 3" at the butt intact. I use a velcro strap to secure the rod in the tube at the reel and then I cut two perpendicular slots about 3/4" apart from each other at the tip and butt of the holder. Thread a strap through those and attach to the frame.
skipowpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13

hailey, 83333
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutfish View Post
Glacier Raft Co. in West glacier montana sells a tube built by a local, PVC but lined and fninished on the outside, easy on the rods it's around $100 and worth it. Sorry no picture but I bet if you call em they'd ship

Glacier National Park Rentals and Retail - fly shop, outdoor gear, cabin rentals
Hi Troutfish- I realize this is quite old, but I called up to Glacier Raft Co, and they had no idea what I was talking about. Do you have more info on the local that was making the rod tubes for rafts?
dirksunvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 70s
I really like the ones from Riverboat Works in Salida, CO.....had em for about 5 years....both the long tube ones and the short holders, have both......they are the best that I've come across....I don't like the DownRiver Equipment ones attachments hardware (though their aluminum tubes are better than PVC) at all (though most of their other stuff is great)....only problem is you have to tap and screw into your frame....initially I was paranoid about this but no problems at all they are bomber......only problem with PVC tubes is it warps if you keep it permanently on the boat in the sun......Chet
CROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CROE View Post
I really like the ones from Riverboat Works in Salida, CO.....had em for about 5 years....both the long tube ones and the short holders, have both......they are the best that I've come across....I don't like the DownRiver Equipment ones attachments hardware (though their aluminum tubes are better than PVC) at all (though most of their other stuff is great)....only problem is you have to tap and screw into your frame....initially I was paranoid about this but no problems at all they are bomber......only problem with PVC tubes is it warps if you keep it permanently on the boat in the sun......Chet

Not sure where you saw that the DRE needs to be tapped?
climber-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 70s
explanation.....the Riverboat Works rodholder needs to be screwed into the frame (thus tapped holes), NOT the Dowwnriver rodholder.....despite that, I really like the Riverboat Works rodholder.....sorry to confuse anyone, Chet
CROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17

Ellensburg, Washington
Paddling Since: 1982
The #1 cause of rod breakage on the boat is a fully-assembled rod, so I use an Orvis Safe Passage rod case that lashes to my oar tower with a couple of 2' web straps. I guided for 10 years with this set-up and never had a breakage with extra rod storage. Two 9' rods break down into the top two sections, then the butt sections.

The PVC tubing is good but the first time they get stepped on, it's over.
GOTY2011 is offline   Reply With Quote