Fluid Dope - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-07-2012   #1

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Fluid Dope

Has anyone seen any reviews of this boat anywhere? I like Fluid and I like the lines on his one from photos, but can't find any write-ups. Anyone actually paddled one?

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012   #2

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Seek out biegm, he has one, and is a regional Fluid paddler I believe down in Farmington/Durango
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #3

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
From what I have seen of it, it is a pretty sweet boat.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012   #4

Natalie wrote a review for the Fluid blog. Looking at the photos they've posted on their blog and facebook she is consistently going bigger then she did in the Nemesis.

Stoked on the Dope - Fluid Kayaks - Team Blog
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Natalie wrote a review for the Fluid blog. Looking at the photos they've posted on their blog and facebook she is consistently going bigger then she did in the Nemesis.

Stoked on the Dope - Fluid Kayaks - Team Blog
Great pictures, but she didn't really talk about the boat... there were about 3 sentences at the end relating to the Dope.

Well, I'm sure a real review is out there somewhere.....

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 03
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivervibe View Post
Great pictures, but she didn't really talk about the boat... there were about 3 sentences at the end relating to the Dope.

Well, I'm sure a real review is out there somewhere.....
Hey,

At the time I wrote the Fluid article I had the boat for only a short amount of time and so I didn't really flush out what I thought of the playboat. I have now paddled it all summer. Here is what I think.

As a hole boat- it is great. It loops consistently and large. It is also much looser than the nemesis and just as loose as other newer boats. This means that it can spin and maneuver very easily in small features. I do feel like the nemesis may have cartwheeled easier- but this is the age of loops and big air. I also feel like the size is nice for me. I am paddling the small and I weigh around 142 lbs and am close to 5'8". I often feel like I am in between sizes with the Jackson and Pyranha boats.

As a wave boat- This boat is really fun to surf. It is very fast and stable on a wave. It is still loose and I can carve really nicely. However, it is much less bouncy than the nemesis. This means that I am having a harder time getting it to release for tricks and big air, but when I do, it rotates really fast- which means that I am sticking more moves. It is also way easier to throw smaller, which is great for learning. I found the boat more fun to surf than the Pyranha Molon (and more comfortable). However, the Molon was easier to release. I think that part of it may be that I am trying to throw big moves like I did in the Nemesis, but because the boat is so much faster by the time that I am going for the move, I am already too far down the wave face. I think that given enough time I'll get it to go big whenever I want. The quickness of the hull is worth it. I found that it was way easier to catch and stay on features in this boat than others.

The downside- Fluid recently re-did their outfitting (good and bad). There are still some kinks to be worked out and the second generation of the outfitting should be better. There is a screw in the front pillar that is scraping up my leg when I get in and out. If you cover it up with some foam, that fixes the problem. It is not immediately obvious how the foot foam in the outfitting bag fits together. I was able to get it together just fine after a bit of pondering. The seat is a little sloppy. To remedy this I put some foam under the right and left sides of the seat, right where my upper thighs rest. I do really like the fluid backband and shape and cushioning of the seat. I find their boats way more comfortable with better back support than other companies.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to message me.
gnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #7

other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
Its good to see honest feedback, to include the perceived positives and negatives. I get sick of reading "This is the absolute BEST boat EVER" only to have the same people saying the same thing a month later about the next boat to be released by same company.