floorless tents and wood stoves, rafters need to get on board - Page 8 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 11-22-2018  

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Not quite taut, hadn't yet finished the center opening. I made it 3"+ dia so it will fit over my square top oars, and will use the buckle end of a loop strap to cinch it up.

Stove jack will likely go in the gray side/front panel to the right of the door.

Now you're a seamstress ? Is there anything you won't build ?!?!?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2018  

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Haha, my mom taught me to sew when I was little.

I'm a "fabric welder"!
Old 12-18-2018  
White R. BC

Durango, Colorado
nice vid thx for posting, anybody use their smaller stoves? they still use the 3+in pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2018  

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag3dw View Post
nice vid thx for posting, anybody use their smaller stoves? they still use the 3+in pipe
"their" as in SeekOutside?

I don't see any issue with 3" pipe. I have 4" pipe on my stove, and even for a midsize stove, I think it would still draw fine with 3". It's not like we're pushing 15' of stack. 6' is common, 8' is quite long.

3" might be a bit small for 8' long...anyone try it?

Nothing wrong with smaller stoves. For a tent large just large enough to fit a couple people plus a stove, a small stove will more than adequately heat the space. My only "complaint" about a small stove is that you would really have to have short pieces of wood. That's a lot of breaking and chopping. Once it gets that small, it's also pretty hard to stomp in half...so you're really cutting/chopping a lot to fit.

It's also nice to have a door and stove body large enough to reasonably fit a ~4" round which will give you some decent burn time during the night.

So...a midsize stove may be overkill for a small tent, but is MUCH easier to load and doesn't require constant feeding. If you have a good damper in the chimney and the stove is reasonably airtight, you can damp down a midsize stove well enough that it won't blast a small tent.

My $0.02.
Old 12-18-2018  
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
The only reason to get a small stove is if you are backpacking with it. Always get the largest stove you can reasonably fit and work round in your given tent size due to limit the chopping/breaking wood into small pieces and maximizing the size of wood you can burn as stated above.

I.e. you can alwasy put smaller wood in a big stove but you can't but big wood in a small stove. you an always build a smaller fire in a big stove, but you can't build a big fire in a small stove.

Plus I just like to say Big Woo
Old 12-18-2018  
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Agreed. Even my medium stove from Seek Outside, is kinda tight for me to build a fire in, and I have to cut things down pretty small. Having a good saw is important.

My Big Wood is to large for the fire BOX, as well.

Fulford, Colorado
Stove/tipi is one of the best things you can have for spring and fall. I retrofitted a TI Goat Stove to a Nemo Pentalite and havent looked back. Cook tent, sleeping tent, and even a sauna. The looks you get when you ask your crew if they want to sauna is priceless! All together the whole things weighs 7lbs with a 7' chimney- very manageable for backpack hunters when split, a no brainer on pack trips and a DUH! for the raft
Old 01-12-2019  
White R. BC

Durango, Colorado
Anybody try using something like a small alcohol backpacking stove inside the wood stove just to take the chill off a small space? Seems like a wood fire would blast u out of a small tent or a pu camper. Or not so much?

Can u cook well enough on the wood stove that u would not need a camp stove? Problematic in griz country, I guess.
Old 01-12-2019  
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag3dw View Post
Anybody try using something like a small alcohol backpacking stove inside the wood stove just to take the chill off a small space? Seems like a wood fire would blast u out of a small tent or a pu camper. Or not so much?
I use my tent when it is actually cold say sub 25 degrees down to maybe 15 degrees at night. If its much colder than that, I usually am not out on a river trip. Don't think a small alcohol stove would do any heating at all in my tent space. When it is that cold you need a good fire to dry out the ice/frost that will build up in the tent over night just from your breath.