floorless tents and wood stoves, rafters need to get on board - Page 7 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 11-19-2018   #61
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Nice work,
I would recommend sewing a guy out loop mid-way up each vertical seam.

Also, what you have there is essentially an old-school Range Tent design. Take a look at the double external poll support system that traditional range tents use. You could use that method to eliminate the inner pole and make more space if you want. Also take a look at range tent stove jack placement examples using the google

Traditional range tent:
https://reliabletent.com/product/range-tent/

shappattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2018   #62

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
Nice work,
I would recommend sewing a guy out loop mid-way up each vertical seam.
Yes, even with the catenary at the corners, it's still slightly loose.
I need to rig it with an oar center pole and see just how loose it is, then find a good guy loop spot. I'm only using grosgrain ribbon, so the guy loops are lightweight..and 8 more won't be an issue.

I also plan to add some internal loops for a clothesline..need to set it up with the stove to make sure they're far enough from the chimney.

Quote:
Take a look at the double external poll support system that traditional range tents use. You could use that method to eliminate the inner pole and make more space if you want.
Whoa....that's cool.

I could cross two 10' oars at the handles and set them outside.
Thanks for the awesome insight!

Edit: the range tent jacks are farther down the sidewall than I visualized.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018   #63
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hey MT4runner,
I own a Seek Outside Tipi, and my stove jack is to the side of the pole. It works out well for me like that, I usually end up putting my own chair against the "back wall", with the stove door facing me, giving a good spot to hang out and feed my stove. If you have the jack to the side of the pole, you could also turn the stove to have yourself sitting closer to the door, so as to have less of a pain in the ass for when you want to go outside to take a leek.

You make that tent? I would second adding more loops for guy lines. The four corners mid way up, and then one in the middle of each panel. Can't tell if you have one in the middle of each panel along the bottom, but I would ad one at each mid point, as well. Always seems like when you want your tipi up, it is also miserably windy, so be ready for the apocolypse, in my opinion, at least!

Hot tents are awesome!! And such a great piece of mind, knowing that if it gets really shitty during off season trips, you can go inside and light a fire, total game changer.
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2018   #64
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Keep in Mind Mt4runners tent is quite a bit different in geometry than a seek out side tipi. Definitely think of it as a range tent and look at the various designs and layouts of the stove jack panel for range tents, not more circular tipi style tents.
shappattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018   #65

Kalispell, Montana
Thanks for the discussion guys. Keep it going!

I was originally thinking I'd mount the jack closer to the peak, but since I'll be using my wooden oars for the pole, I don't really want them that close to the direct heat.

Somewhere around 2/3 up the sidewall...I like mattman's suggestion to be able to rotate the stove. I also want the jack high enough that the tent supports it. If the stove is near the sidewall and the jack is low, I would need an external support on the pipe. More pieces means more setup time, and also means I may use it less often!
Old 11-20-2018   #66

Kalispell, Montana
It's dark here in the evenings and I've been gone on the weekends...so I ran home from work at lunch time to put the tent up and snap some pics.

Blue NRS loop strap around the oar handle connects to the black strap sewn to the top of the tent.
It doesn't slide easily..this would be a great spot for a roller strap.

It is nice and taut with the cam strap cinched up, but I will still add corner guy loops.

Stove:

Range tent style dual poles (10' oars). 10' oars are slightly short, but will work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6038.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	32465   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6039.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	32467  

Name:	IMG_6040.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	32469   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6037.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	32471  

Name:	IMG_6041.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	32473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6042.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	32475  

Name:	IMG_6045.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	32477  
Old 11-20-2018   #67
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Having the stove jack higher up will also make the stove draw better, but definitely don't want to be to close to your oars either. Looking great, both the tent, and the oars ya built!!
Old 11-20-2018   #68
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Check out Seek Outside’s solution to assembling and supporting the stove pipe. I have spent 8 nights in my new tipi so far this year and the stove pipe is the easiest piece to assemble and pack up. Hard to explain but it works and I was sold when I saw it in action!
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018   #69

little rock, Arkansas
Very cool, and I see you had some excellent help setting it up.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018   #70

Kalispell, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Having the stove jack higher up will also make the stove draw better, but definitely don't want to be to close to your oars either. Looking great, both the tent, and the oars ya built!!
Thanks!
They're just waiting for rope wraps/leather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Check out Seek Outside’s solution to assembling and supporting the stove pipe. I have spent 8 nights in my new tipi so far this year and the stove pipe is the easiest piece to assemble and pack up. Hard to explain but it works and I was sold when I saw it in action!
Kifaru has a similar rolled chimney. I used the same idea (but galv sheet metal, not titanium/stainless)...it's just not unrolled.

I do like their damper/spark arrestor solution. Need to build one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lncoop View Post
Very cool, and I see you had some excellent help setting it up.
Thanks! We just adopted them last week! We've had 4 Labs in our lives, the last one left us two years ago. My daughters are 15 and 17, and their days at home are fewer...my wife and I want to travel after they graduate. Oldest daughter found these two on a FB pets page. Owner and his GF broke up, he's working in the ND oilfields, and his grandparents were taking care of his dogs. Grandparents both passed. So...we adopted this sweet 9.5 year old brother and sister--Easton and Roxie. Seriously sweet. We really lucked out. Easton is mad because I'm taking pictures and not throwing his ball.