floorless tents and wood stoves, rafters need to get on board - Page 6 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 10-18-2018   #51

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
5 stakes and the center pole are all it takes if it's not too windy. If it's windy I put in another 5 stakes around three perimeter... That pulls it tighter. Then guy out 10 guy lines in pairs (to 5 stakes).... That also makes more room inside. Rigged like that it's handled sustained winds over 40 with guests significantly be about that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2018   #52

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
The stack is supported by the stove on the bottom (obviously) and just the stove jack on top... it can't go anywhere but plays no role in supporting anything.... in case that's what you were asking.

The stove weighs a metric shit ton... I'd love a ti stove - tigoat's cylinder design seems pretty simple...and is really inexpensive... but I've recently gotten back into horses, so I fear my disposable income will be utilized to the max with them.... nice thing though is a ti stove will be useful for that hobby as well.

edit to add size... forgot about that question.

it's a pentagon that is 15 feet from point to point inside, a little less from wall to point. the center pole was 9.5 feet, as is the oar in the pics. it's easily tall enough to walk around in. The stove does take some room up but can sleep 3 cots and the stove... or about a dozen kids and no stove as happens a lot in the summer.
Old 10-18-2018   #53

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I grew up in a horse packing family (hence my Dad had a Riley stove we bought from Riley when he was still working out of a small shop in Townsend, MT and being the inveterate tinkerer already at 14 or 15 young years of age, I copied it pretty well with a bench vise, metal snips, vice grips, and pop rivets.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
The stack is supported by the stove on the bottom (obviously) and just the stove jack on top... it can't go anywhere but plays no role in supporting anything.... in case that's what you were asking.

Oh, sorry...was wondering more if the tent supported the stovepipe enough to keep the stove/pipe from tipping over..which you did answer in your previous note about staking and the tent holding up to 40mph winds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
it's a pentagon that is 15 feet from point to point inside, a little less from wall to point. the center pole was 9.5 feet, as is the oar in the pics. it's easily tall enough to walk around in. The stove does take some room up but can sleep 3 cots and the stove... or about a dozen kids and no stove as happens a lot in the summer.
Thanks again. I've spent a lot of nights in wall tents and dome tents, but not as much in pyramids, so I'm trying to get a better sense of size/scale. You do lose some useable floor space down near the walls. I did mine 10'x10' as it was easy to cut catenary triangles out of 60" wide fabric widths. Mine's ~8' high so I'll need to be creative and let my oar handle stick out the top. Still haven't yet finalized that part.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2018   #54

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Maiden voyage for our new Seek Lil Bug Out (Base/tarp/vestibule) was an out and back sea kayak trip in Meander Canyon. We had upper 20's the first couple nights then warmer temps and intermittent rain for a couple days. I was very impressed with the stability of the tent in wind and the stove efficiency. Condensation was annoying until I learned to leave the door open; even with the tarp propped up in awning mode the stove keeps things warm inside. One concern I have, particularly for river trips is that the silnylon seems to attract sand, and I notice that sand damage is excluded from the warranty. One recommendation I have is an 8' x 8' Cgear sand mat for the base (sleeping) end of the tent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181017_080415.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	797.4 KB
ID:	32253  
Infidien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018   #55

Kalispell, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
shapp, I appreciate the video. I had started a pyramid tent several years ago and it has remained unfinished. I need to finish up the seams, get a zipper in it, and cut a stove jack!
Thanks to all of you posting in this thread, I dug my tent project out yesterday. Sewed the main zipper in, hemmed the bottom, sewed in tent stake loops...

..time to plan the roof jack. Should I put the roof jack behind the center pole (away from the door), in front of the center pole (nearest the door) or to one side, and why?
Old 10-22-2018   #56
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
I don't know where you should put it in your tent as I havn't seen yours, but consider these tips when placing.

One edge of the stove jack panel should be sewn on one of your vertical seams, not out in the middle of open fabric.

If you put it in front of the door, make sure your door is wide enough so you can get into your tent without any chance of rubbing your coat on the stove pipe (a puffy jacket will met in a milisecond toughing a hot stove pipe. On most tipi style shelters I have seen the stove is next to the center pole.

I do not have a tipi style shelter. I have the stove in the front near the door. My thinking on the stove placement: I wanted to sleep toward the rear of my shelter and have the stove toward the door so that if anything went crazy with fire, I could kick the stove out the front door.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018   #57

Kalispell, Montana
Thank you shappattack! That's exactly the kind of input I was hoping for. Mines like a taller megamid.

Why on a vertical seam?
In the middle of the seam or just butting it?

I don't want it in back, I think that will get in the way of possible sleeping space.

I'm leaning toward front or side. Good caution about brushing against it on entry. I'll set it up and put the stove in and walk around it. (Duh me!)
Thanks again
Old 10-23-2018   #58
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
If you have the opportunity on your setup, I would over lap an edge of your stove jack panel ontop of a seam, just the edge of the panel overlapped and sewn overtop a seam line.

You can also sew the stove jack panel on the outside of your tipi with a simple straight stitch over your tipi wall before cutting out the tipi fabric from the stove jack location in the inside. Once the stove jack panel is tacked in with a perimeter stitch, you can then carefully cut out the tipi fabric from the inside leaving some tipi material around the edge to then fold over and put a wide stitch for the finish. Note that seam seal doesn't usually stick well to the actual stove jack material, but you can seam seal up the stitching on the tipi fabric from the inside, just don't lap it over on the stove jack panel.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018   #59

Kalispell, Montana
Awesome, exactly what I was wondering. Thanks again.
Old 11-19-2018   #60

Kalispell, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Thanks to all of you posting in this thread, I dug my tent project out yesterday. Sewed the main zipper in, hemmed the bottom, sewed in tent stake loops...

..time to plan the roof jack. Should I put the roof jack behind the center pole (away from the door), in front of the center pole (nearest the door) or to one side, and why?
Not quite taut, hadn't yet finished the center opening. I made it 3"+ dia so it will fit over my square top oars, and will use the buckle end of a loop strap to cinch it up.

Stove jack will likely go in the gray side/front panel to the right of the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5793.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	32459   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5794.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	32461