floorless tents and wood stoves, rafters need to get on board - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 10-17-2018   #41

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I purchased the Seek Outside Redcliff tent/ wood stove combo with a liner and a "nest". I had a hard time describing what I wanted to but to my wife so we went to Grand Junction where they are made. Dustin took the time to explain all the features and options and set one up in their showroom. We left with the complete package excited to try it out. I set it up in the yard and seam sealed it and burned the stove in. Last weekend, we car camped up the Frying Pan River. The night turned cold and rainy and we were warm and dry and very happy! The fire burned out after we fell asleep and I woke up during the night and tried to get it going again but it only had a small pile of coals and I only had a couple of larger chunks of wood left so I put one in and it kinda smoldered. It still felt fairly comfortable in the morning but I got up and gathered a little kindling, used a fire starter stick, and had it hot again in a short time while the rain turned to wet, heavy flakes.

I am taking it for two nights on the river this weekend and have a few more trips planned that I don't expect to be hampered by the weather now that I have a place to be warm and dry.

I would like to learn any tips or tricks. One I learned the hard way is that the wood stove on a fire blanket folded into four layers gets hot enough to melt a sand-free mat beneath it
I'm intrigued by this whole wood stove thing...or a heater of some sort at least. I've been kind of tempted to try out one the catalyst style propane heaters too. The one with that uses hoses to pipe heat in sounds like the best but it needs battery power and is expensive.

Now that you have the redwall...what do you think about using a roll a cot or two fitting in it along with the stove? I'm pretty partial to using my cot, so its kind of a deal breaker if wouldn't work. I guess they have the bigger ones, but I like the tight space of the smaller stuff like the redwall or 4 person Tipi.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2018   #42

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Test with a few lumps of coal added to your wood fire. Start ping-pong ball small to learn it's idiosyncrasies then progress to larger pieces until figuring out the ideal sizes. What size lasts all night in that stove in that temperature ? Somewhere around baseball sized ?

Misc. factoid I think pertains : The Titanium stove can go 20% hotter than the Steel ones and are less likely to warp if fired too hot.

I think you want some kind of a grate to set it on that lets air underneath the coal and not let it smolder. Maybe a Titanium Grate ? Or a Double / Triple X stand crafted from drilled Titanium flats.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018   #43
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Where does one even buy coal in my state of Oregon, I have no idea.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2018   #44

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Great question, but apparently tractor supply?https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/coal
Go figure
Old 10-17-2018   #45
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
I find these work great in my stove,

Bear Bricks:
Bear Mountain Bear Bricks | Fire Logs | Fire Bricks -

They are cheap, burn great, and are squarish and really fit nice in a rocket box or dry box. And they are made relatively close to me.
Old 10-18-2018   #46

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
shapp, I appreciate the video. I had started a pyramid tent several years ago and it has remained unfinished. I need to finish up the seams, get a zipper in it, and cut a stove jack!

I made a kifaru knockoff out of galvanized duct several years ago...like 16 or 17 years...but never have had a tent to run it in.

...and I made a Riley stove knockoff like..26-27 years ago when I was in high school!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018   #47
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
“Now that you have the redwall...what do you think about using a roll a cot or two fitting in it along with the stove? I'm pretty partial to using my cot, so its kind of a deal breaker if wouldn't work. I guess they have the bigger ones, but I like the tight space of the smaller stuff like the redwall or 4 person Tipi.“

A couple of Roll-a-Cots would work great in the Redcliff and would be toasty being off the ground with the heat circulating under! I chose the Redcliff because I am 6’ and can stand up in it. I think the Cimarron could fit a couple cots as well but not as tall and roomy.
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018   #48

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991

I love my floorless hot tent!!!
Old 10-18-2018   #49

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
That's really slick, Elkhaven. I appreciate the photos.

I assume the tent is self-supporting with just the center pole (oar) and doesn't need any additional guying...and that's enough support to keep the stack vertical?

Overall size...12' x 12' x 10'h?
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018   #50
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
I like the home made ammo can stove, and I like my bigger Knico packer stove too, but the seekoutside titanium SXL stove has a nice sized fire box and is so small and light I can take it kayaking. All the stove, hot tent, beers etc. for 7 days on the dirty devil in the Red aire outfitter II in February