floorless tents and wood stoves, rafters need to get on board - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 12-01-2011   #11

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
My father made a barrel stove for his big canvas hunting/camping tent (approx 12x20). AAA Canvas Tents — standard features He made the stove from a 50 gal barrel. He cut bottom cut out (sits upright on the ground directly - dig out a small breather hole in the ground), a square door cut into it, a larger piece from another barrel to cover the square hole, door hinges and a latch (with wooden handle to keep it cool), and a hole in the top for the 3 inch stove pipe running out of the tent. He has used that tent and stove on 2-3 camping/hunting trips a year (3-7 days per trip) for the last 28 or so years and both still function great. The stove has burned cedar, aspen, pine, and more and has not burned through.
If I could find some smaller steel barrels (5-20 gal) for cheap it would be fun to make a stove or two following a similar pattern. Then again. for many river trips I'd need a different stove, one where the fire didn't burn directly on the ground.

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2011   #12

Jenks, Oklahoma
Would like to hear from any one who has experience with using these stoves outside of a tent in cold weather. That is under a cooking tarp or just setting around the stove outside. I doubt if I would be able to justify buying one of the specialty tents, but if it makes better heating than a camp fire etc outside it might make sense to conserve wood etc etc
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #13
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
I have used my Kni-co outside of the tent and it works just as well.

Hey you don't need to spend a lot of cash to have a floorless tipi to put a stove in. Tarp shelter and oars, I still make these all the time even though I have commercial made shelters too. Here is a tarp tipi beefed up for Owyhee gail force winds (no stove though). The wyoming lost and found folks that make some of the best tipis I have seen also make some out of poly tarp. You could probably glue or sew a stove jack pannel into a regular heavy duty tarp and make a tipi such as this for nominal cost.

Also there are lots of ways to make a stove, I particularly like the ammo box stove, although I would personally burn off the paint real good on the inside and grinde of the paint on the outside and paint it with some high heat grill/stove paint instead.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mile 34.6 - Overhang Camp (2).JPG
Views:	390
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	4184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shappart Owyhee 2009 (52).jpg
Views:	439
Size:	622.3 KB
ID:	4185  

Name:	Shappart Owyhee 2009 (53).jpg
Views:	492
Size:	707.4 KB
ID:	4186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shappart Owyhee 2009 (54).JPG
Views:	440
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	4187  

Name:	Shappart Owyhee 2009 (79).JPG
Views:	384
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	4188  
shappattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2011   #14
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
And of course remove the rubber gasket!
shappattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #15
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Big Pimpin':
Mountain Hardwear | Stronghold™

Hosting the Western Region Pimps Convention:
Mountain Hardwear | Space Station™

MegaMids come along as "garages".
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #16

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
I am a welder, and after seeing that wood stove I have to make one. I am buying an ammo can this week, and I will post on this thread when I am done.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #17

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Started using a woodstove (Army surplus Yukon box stove) to make it possible to live in a tent c.1977. My favorite tent for this is the Kirkham's Springbar.

Select Springbar Canvas Tent Models & Screen Houses | Buy Tent Replacement Parts & Tent Accessories

I had them install a roof jack and cut a stove flap in the floor. Stand-up headroom, great ventilation, and it won't blow over in high winds. With synthetic tents, you get burn holes from sparks. Not in canvas, which is also more breathable.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #18

Jenks, Oklahoma
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster,
Looking forward to the info on the ammo can stove. I am not a welder but sure like the concept and can find someone to do the welding around town. Thanks for sharing your stuff with the message board.
dave
PS: don't know how this other stuff got on here, thought I just copied and pasted your handle

Farmington, Utah
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #19

Farmington, Utah
There you go. If you like how I build mine, and it can be cost effective I will build you one, and mail it to you. I also make hand paddles, and stainless steel bracelets. So if you really wanted to bundle you could save on shipping cost Most welding shops would charge an arm, and a leg for work like that. Let me see if I can make one, and be cost effective if so I will offer them for sell.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #20

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
The ammo can wood stove can be fabricated without welding,but you will need a large hole saw. you could use a 3" electrical emt box connector fitting for the chimney pipe. Then use carriage bolts for the rest of it.I plan to use my old rocket box that was used for a groover on the grand,the fire may be the only way to get the smell out of that box! I will weld it because I can. Flying Spaghetti Monster has a good point about paying a shop to do it.My guess would be 2 to 3 hrs at $100 per hr. ouch!
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote