Flocculant for settling water. Any chem majors out there? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 02-23-2011   #1

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Flocculant for settling water. Any chem majors out there?

Trying to avoid having water sit overnight to settle,to maximize life of water filter carbon filters. One of the methods is to add a Flocculant to get the particles to clump and fall to the bottom

Will probably use a 5 mil bag filter for first stage following flocculation. Plus the bag can easily be washed and reused

I've heard use alum but don't think it's a good thing to add unless it comes out with carbon filtration ( like bleach does ). I'm afraid of introducing aluminum into water supply

Also read chitosan if you don't have allergies to shellfish. Seems like this would be the most natural method. Any idea where I could get some in useful and economical quantities?

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I've always just let water settle overnight, then decant into clean buckets to pump. Alum adds a funny taste to water, so we try to avoid using it as much as possible. I think I've used alum once in my three seasons working in the southwest. Admittedly not that long, but it gives an idea. You may not have wanted that answer as you were specifically looking for info on flocculants.
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #3

Lindon, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
The pulp from Prickly Pear Cactus is a natural flocculant, that will settle the sediment fairly well. You have the problem of bits of the pulp floating around in the water but just strain it through a bandanna and you get clear water ready to filter. I have used it in its natural raw state mashed up, but i remember reading an article once about boiling the pads to extract the musalege which became a very effective flocculent and even had properties that helped with purification. They were doing studies to help with water supply in developing countries.
Bilge Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011   #4

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
[QUOTE=slamkal;214367]I've heard use alum but don't think it's a good thing to add unless it comes out with carbon filtration ( like bleach does ). I'm afraid of introducing aluminum into water supply[QUOTE]

The aluminum (as alum) ends up mostly in the mud at the bottom of the bucket - it's a flocculent after all.
Don't sweat the Al exposure, just think of what you put your lips against for every sip of your PBR.
Good alum use methodology can be found at Drifter Smith on Alum Alum Use - Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association
Jerry
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #5

Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
ditto to malloypc- alum is generally used in US water treatment facilities, so if you drink city water, you're probably already being exposed to it. Also, it's a main ingredient used in pickling, so if you eat pickles...

The prickly pear method sounds really interesting though.
yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #6

Davis, California
Calcium hydroxide?
thedullend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011   #7

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
Trying to avoid having water sit overnight to settle,to maximize life of water filter carbon filters.
This is a easy, quick and cheap way to pre-treat silty water: https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ilt-33796.html
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've never used Alum myself, but have read that it work best if you mix it into a smaller size bottle, shake hard, then pour that into the buckets you want to settle.

Also, did you find that filter bag set up with the ring and strap to hang it, or is that a self modification. I'd buy one of those if I knew where to look.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #9

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Flocculant for settling water. Any chem majors out there?

Mogur
Regarding that green prefilter bag: I visited several vacuum shops here in GJ but could not find anything like this. Any suggestions on where else I might find one of these?

R
Colorado Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #10

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
What do people do with the alum sludge?

Is your green bag something like this?

http://www.centralvac.com/mm5/mercha...gory_Code=BAGS
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote