first kayak? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-29-2009   #1

cartersville, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2010
first kayak?

hey everyone! my names james, im 14, and live in north georgia. this summer im going to kayaking camp at the NOC and after that i am probobally going to get my first boat. i will probobally be buying it used. what would be a good starter one? heres what ive looked at so far...
.: www.pyranha.com :.
http://www.fluidkayaks.com/ the ammo medium
http://www.fluidkayaks.com/ the flirt medium
thanks everyone,
james

jim_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009   #2

cartersville, Georgia
here are some more ive looked at...
Old 12-29-2009   #3

cartersville, Georgia
keep finding more and more.....
Jackson Kayak - Kayak News, Kayak Photos, Kayak Videos and Kayak Stories i really like this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009   #4

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
A lot of what boats will be good for you will be based on your size. Post up height and weight and you could get more responses. That being said, with your age I would also make sure to get a boat that will allow for some growth both physically and in the kayaking realm.

I think your making the best choice by going to a top notch school like NOC. I have not seen their teaching fleet, but I bet once your finished with the camp you will have a good idea what you want. Demo as many different boats as you can while there, decide what fits, what you like, and what boat type you want:

-River Runner
-Playboat
-Creeker

Those two boats from pyranha would work recoil being a more play orientated river runner, and the z.one being more a true river runner. The Fun series from jackson is awesome, I own both Jackson and Pyranha so with either company think its hard to go wrong. Good luck and betting you will be hooked after NOC - wish I started that young!
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #5

cartersville, Georgia
im 155 and 5'6
Old 12-29-2009   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
see what type of boats and paddling you like at NOC. If you like downriver, but don't care so much for surfing (yet), get something more like the ammo (larger volume river runner). If you like playing a bit, get something more like the fun series, a down-river playboat. I feel like the a down-river playboat accelerates the learning curve in a Class III environment. Finally, you're probably growing at a good clip at age 14. I'd get something on the cheaper side of used, sub $400, so you can afford new gear as you grow out of it. THere's tons of good boats in that price range.

Might look at liquid logic (CR series) and wave sport boats (EZG or fuse) too...

If you haven't checked out Eddyflower.com for specs and reviews on boats, do it, great resource!

and...please help my pony, I think it's his lung.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #7

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Don't mess w/ those down river playboats fun, recoil, ezg, etc. they're ok at both but not good at either. get an old river runner disel, burn, mamba, you can keep till you break it and, you'll want it when start trying harder bigger runs. then get cheap play boat 420, star, project and your set. Ive seen alot of good boaters throw down in older boats. i started w/ a fun and it was great in class III but, i felt it held me back in river running and play boating once i started to progress. goodLuck!
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #8

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Don't mess w/ those down river playboats fun, recoil, ezg, etc. they're ok at both but not good at either. get an old river runner disel, burn, mamba, you can keep till you break it and, you'll want it when start trying harder bigger runs. then get cheap play boat 420, star, project and your set. Ive seen alot of good boaters throw down in older boats. i started w/ a fun and it was great in class III but, i felt it held me back in river running and play boating once i started to progress. goodLuck!
I, too, agree that you should focus on river runners/creekers. We are about the same size and some excellent used boats that I would highly recommend for you are:

Wave Sport -- Diesel 65, Y, or X
Jackson -- Punk Rocker (creeker displacement hull, but great boat),
or Hero (although you would get even more performance out
of it as you grow a bit more)
Pyranha - small Burn
Old 12-30-2009   #9

cartersville, Georgia
ok everyone. thanks a bunch! i cant wait for summer!
Old 12-30-2009   #10

Columbia, South Carolina
Paddling Since: 2006
Send a message via ICQ to rawkgant Send a message via AIM to rawkgant
I highly recommend the Jackson fun series.

Tags
kayaking