First attempt at fixing Jackson plastic - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-13-2012   #1

Professional Transient, See above.
First attempt at fixing Jackson plastic

Having this broken boat around (that Jackson was great enough to warranty), and being winter I figured it was time to tinker. Here is the attempt to fix it. Will have to see if it works when I'm willing to go try out a leaky boat (especially considering the warranty one arrived yesterday. Yay!).

Not sure how to use the attachments feature on here.

1st photo is the crack(s) before doing any repair
2nd photo is after drilling the ends of the cracks to prevent the cracks from propagating further and opening the crack up with a jigsaw to let more epoxy in.
3rd photo is after taking a grinding wheel to the crack to roughen it up and to give more area for the epoxy to bond to. This photo was taken right before (or after?) I hit the area with a blowtorch for a second to oxidize the plastic (helps epoxy adhere better supposedly).
4th photo is the view inside the boat with epoxy applied. Note that large amounts of epoxy were applied outside first, and then pushed through the crack.
5th and 6th photos are with gutter repair tape applied as well, sealing it all in.

Will keep you posted on how well it actually works. The epoxy used was the Gflex 655 thickened epoxy. Pricy stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crack 1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	568.6 KB
ID:	4335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Repair 1.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	511.1 KB
ID:	4336  

Name:	Repair 3.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	4337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Repair 4.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	680.6 KB
ID:	4338  

Name:	Repair 5.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	575.2 KB
ID:	4339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Repair 6.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	498.6 KB
ID:	4340  

st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012   #2

The Bitterroot, Montana
Was this cross link or linear?
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #3

I would be surprised if the epoxy holds. I tried a cheap non-flexible epoxy on a broken boat a couple years ago and the first time out the epoxy fell to pieces. I had also bitched it so I couldn't get the broken epoxy out and it caused it to leak more through that crack than other cracks that only had been bitched.

I would like to hear if the Gflex makes a difference since I have two broken Jacksons in the garage. I had good experience this year with just bitching the inside of a broken boat. By the end of the summer it had 12-15 cracks and most of the water it took on was through a hole in my skirt.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
As a serial boat breaker, and thus a serial boat repairer, I have some experience here.

I assume the OP's boat is crosslink, otherwise, welding would be the way to go.

I have used G-glex epoxy on crosslink boats. My method involves G-glex on the outside, and multiple overlapping layers of gorilla tape on the inside pushed down and heated with a heat gun after each layer (better than bitchithane in my opinion).

The g-flex will crack when it takes hits, but it prevents the crack in the boat from propogating. Hairline cracks in the g-flex outer seal can be quickly patched up when new cracks appear. The g-flex primarily acts as a strutural reinforcement of the crack, and not really as a waterproof seal. The waterproof seal should be gorilla tape, bitchithane or whatever you prefer on the inside of the boat.

A typical life cycle for me is to do the full repair the first time, use the boat as a mank boat, which almost always results in cracking of the g-flex, but with minimal water ingress to the boat. When I get home, I mix up a little g-glex, slap it right on top of the old g-flex that has cracked some, let it dry overnight, and paddle the boat the next day. You can keep this process going and get many days on the water with the mank boat. One set of g-flex is enough to do the major first repair and 5-6 mini repairs afterwards.

I don't think that this is too different from plastic welding regular boats. My experience with big cracks under the seat was that welding was temporary and often a weak spot that would crack again (if not on the weld, just next to the weld). The water proofing is done by gorilla tape on the inside of the boat, and repeated repair touch up welding is required to keep the mank boat floating.

G-flex repair takes less time than welding, so I think its a pretty valuable tool in the kayakers repair kit.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #5

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
I have heard that you can weld cross linked plastic, but it has a heat window, and if you go outside of that it will crack. I am not sure because I have not tried it. Best thing I know of for a quick easy fix is Vinyl Mastic or it's cousin Protecto Wrap. Stick it on heat it up, and you have a seal that won't leak for a while. I limped my Jefe Grande along for a month and a half of Green Narrows runs with Protecto Wrap, and welds.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #6

x, x
Paddling Since: x
nice job, It will not hold though, g-flex is junk and you need a bigger peice of bitch over the crack. I have welded and fixed many boats that method will not last.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #7

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster View Post
I have heard that you can weld cross linked plastic, but it has a heat window, and if you go outside of that it will crack. I am not sure because I have not tried it.
It is more like sticking 2 peices of plastic together.

use a heat gun and heat up the doaner plastic strip, it will look wet, heat the area over the crack lightly, reheat the strip of plastic then apply it over the crack.push it down and bond them, it does work but the failure rate is high once the plastic gets to hot.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #8

Professional Transient, See above.
The boat is crosslink.

I didn't put a wider piece of bitch on due to the cracks being so close to the chine. Wasn't sure if longer would be of much benefit.

I'm taking suggestions for when this patch fails. I'll give the "repeated g-flex applications" a try.

FSM- I've also heard that crosslink is weldable at a super narrow range (5 degrees F or something).

Bobbuilds- I'll give that method a whirl when this fails and I find a donor boat. How large of strip of plastic would you try and put on? Fill the cracks or cover them?

I've also read on the buzz where someone was suggesting welding in linear plastic into the crosslink crack. Again though, I typically live pretty light and have no other boats immediately available.

Other suggestions?
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I was turned on to super heating gorilla tape over drilled out cracks this summer... Worked really well for me. Just put a few layers on. Gorilla tape though not duct tape.
pem27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #10

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
If you use Gorilla tape wipe it down with rubbing alcohol. This cleans it, and helps remove water residue. Gorilla tape works great. I know many south east boaters that have more gorilla tape than they have boat.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote