Fire Pan Sizing - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-09-2012   #1

Wheat Ridge, 80033
Paddling Since: 2002
Fire Pan Sizing

So for my CU Freshmen Engineering Projects course, my group is designing a light weight and breakdown fire pan. While we are not ready to show off the design and prototype, we will show a fairly-final product at the University of Colorado Engineering Design Expo on April 28th. I'll also post on here before for some initial feedback.

Without giving away our design too much the main features of our pan are:
  • Competitive price (hopefully cheaper)
  • Breakdown & extremely packable (different people can take different parts for weight/size issues)
  • Quick & easy to assemble (<2 minutes maximum)
  • Light weight (~7 lbs. for the smallest & ~15 lbs. for largest)
  • Modular

One of my favorite features would be the modular ability. You could easily have different sizes for the fire pan based on your trip necessities without increasing your cost drastically.

Technically with our design custom sized pans could be made, but to keep costs down we are planning on standard sizing. As of right now we are sticking with 3" height and thinking about 12.5"x12", 12"x18" 12.5"x24 (300in^2), 18"x24" and 18"x30" sizes. These sizes are based on the NPS & BLM requirements and industry standard sizes. My big question is; what sizes would people like to see?

**Note: Per regulations the smallest fire pan you can have is a 12"x12"x1.5" pan for BLM and 12"x12"x3" (charcoal only) or 300in^2x3" (wood) for NPS.**

tmaggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
count me in for testing. I have tried to dream up a way for a firepan to fold in on itself for compactness but without much luck. I think most of us would want one we could legally take on the grand canyon or pretty much any river trip so the lowest common denominator would be a minimum size for me.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #3

Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
My thoughts on campfires is bigger is always better. Really I would say the standard 15" x24" is a little small for a wood fire. I would go 15"+ x 24"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012   #4

Tigard, Oregon
If you are looking for the holy grail then the size standards should meet the Grand Canyon requirements.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #5

PORTLAND, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1971
There is already the best pan out there! Go to strongbox fire pans and see.
They are 3" x 16" x 24", all stainless steel and light weight. They too are engineered un like other pans. Sure they are spendy but what good isn't. 5 year warranty, and offer other features nobody has. They are at Cascade outfitters, 4 corners, www.visionmetalworksllc.com.
WATERRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #6

Wheat Ridge, 80033
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATERRAT
There is already the best pan out there! Go to strongbox fire pans and see.
They are 3" x 16" x 24", all stainless steel and light weight. They too are engineered un like other pans. Sure they are spendy but what good isn't. 5 year warranty, and offer other features nobody has. They are at Cascade outfitters, 4 corners, www.visionmetalworksllc.com.
That looks like a good pan. I'd probably get that over any on the market. You seem to be invested in the product so can you answer these questions?

Do you know what gauge and grade the stainless steel is?

How is everything held together, welding?

What are it's packed dimensions? Looks to be about 3x16x24.

What is the burning temperature of powder coating?

Is the powder coating smooth or rough? If its rough it might be tough to clean food drippings off. The food drippings can cause hot spots that cause warping. How to clean it effectively to prevent this is one issue we are dealing with.

How much weight will the pan support?

How much weight can the base and cooking racks support? I see a baking pan in one photograph but can they support a dutch oven an coffee pot respectively?

Thanks for all everyone's help. I think we'll stick with our planned sizes. The 12.5x18 is kind of useless but it won't add any manufacturing processes or cost. We also might add a 18x36 but that one might get heavy.
Old 04-11-2012   #7

Tigard, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaggert View Post
That looks like a good pan. I'd probably get that over any on the market. You seem to be invested in the product so can you answer these questions?

Do you know what gauge and grade the stainless steel is?

How is everything held together, welding?

What are it's packed dimensions? Looks to be about 3x16x24.

What is the burning temperature of powder coating?

Is the powder coating smooth or rough? If its rough it might be tough to clean food drippings off. The food drippings can cause hot spots that cause warping. How to clean it effectively to prevent this is one issue we are dealing with.

How much weight will the pan support?

How much weight can the base and cooking racks support? I see a baking pan in one photograph but can they support a dutch oven an coffee pot respectively?

Thanks for all everyone's help. I think we'll stick with our planned sizes. The 12.5x18 is kind of useless but it won't add any manufacturing processes or cost. We also might add a 18x36 but that one might get heavy.
Most of those questions are answered on the website. It is a pretty SWEET setup... Thanks for sharing Waterrat!
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #8

Wheat Ridge, 80033
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
Most of those questions are answered on the website. It is a pretty SWEET setup... Thanks for sharing Waterrat!
Touché, however it took me a little bit of scourging around your site to find this information. If I can offer a little advice, place all this information on your product page not just the blanket "AMERICAN STRONGBOX PRODUCTS" page.

I dig your design and hopefully look forward to competing in the same or similar market as you. I manly am shooting for the kayaker and space/weight conscious rafters.
Old 04-12-2012   #9
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I put buckets and pots of water on the fire - I don't see the strongbox grills as strong enough to do that.

I wish they would have used more neon fonts to highlight their product. Because otherwise you miss the fact that it's a STrongbox in bright red over and over.

Engineer types should not design websites. And if they paid someone to do that then they should get their money back. Good God.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #10

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
How about something that will fit into an ammo can along with lighter fluid and fire blanket. Must have detachable legs.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote