Fire Pan - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-03-2010   #1

Fire Pan

Has anyone tried the Bayou Classic Fold n Go Charcoal grill and used it for a fire pan on multi-day raft trips? If so does it meet the standard regulations? How does it hold up? Looking for a less expensive option for this standard piece of river gear.

I have attached 2 links below, let me know your opinions.

Customer Image Gallery for Bayou Classic Fold and Go Portable Grill

Bayou Classic Store -

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I recommend the 2 galvanized feed/oil pan/fireblanket method. The two pans will cost you under $10 total at a feed store or on eBay. The 5x5 welder's blanket will cost $30. Put the blanket down, flip one pan over and set the other on top for an elevated pan. Or you can cook on one, warm up around another. Of have a big white man fire.

One pan stores inside the other with the blanket and your screen inside that pan. You end up with this small package that fits nicely in an old dry bag with your tongs, heavy duty leather gloves, and some trash and rice bags. The whole set up will cost $50 and is a legit firepan for everywhere but the Grand Canyon. The ranger there told me it's too small, though it did meet the cubic inch requirements listed on their regs....

I don't think those grills cut it, they are usually much thinner and cheaper than they look in the picture. The galvanizer pans warp a little, but generally fit together for a long time. Just don't cook on them until you've burned them several times and the galvanizing finish is burned off. It's toxic I hear.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I use one of the feed pans as my DO firepan or on trips where I want to go a little lighter. They work great for the DO and ok as a firepan, but I did get a bit of crap from my friends when I brought it on a Brown's overnighter last year even though it was a warm summer night. For extended trips and chilly weather, I like the bigger firepans (and your friends will too).

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010   #4

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I took a 55 gallon drum.....cut the bottom out being sure to leave enough material to fold the cut edge over (no sharp edges), and have a 3" deep pan...4" would have been better. I welded 3 - 3/4" nuts on the bottom and screwed in the legs, which are totally removable....and quite easy to adjust the height....get whatever sized legs you want.

But anyway, SUPER cheap....actually practically free....you can find people wanting to get rid of old drums everywhere.

Just a thought........
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #5

loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
I took a 55 gallon drum.....cut the bottom out being sure to leave enough material to fold the cut edge over (no sharp edges), and have a 3" deep pan...4" would have been better. I welded 3 - 3/4" nuts on the bottom and screwed in the legs, which are totally removable....and quite easy to adjust the height....get whatever sized legs you want.

But anyway, SUPER cheap....actually practically free....you can find people wanting to get rid of old drums everywhere.

Just a thought........
That's great. Does it meet the fire pan requirements? Did you just keep the top for a lid?
cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #6

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Well, I don't know the exact requirements everywhere....but what I do remember being a pretty big deal with most of them is side walls at least 3" deep. Never figured the Cu.Inches, but I'm pretty sure it's more than most fancy rectangular pans.

No, didn't keep the lid....although that would've been a good idea. A round grill from a large weber works pretty sweet for cookin'.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Storm King Mountain Technologies - Camp FireKeeper fire rings

I've been eyeing this. It looks pretty cool for kayaking. Any thougths?
suzpollon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #8

Whitefish, Montana
I was just looking at the Bayou classic online yesterday seems like a great deal and it get's good reviews maybe not the best firepan but a great deat for a really small compact grill I also found this and thought it might work better as a fire pan still tons cheaper than all the high priced gear out there (which I would like) but I don't know about regs. It will work for where I'm heading for now. Thoughts ??

Hotspot Notebook Portable Grill - Charcoal Grills at Grills Direct
troutfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #9
Come and open the gate

denver, Colorado
[QUOTE=GoodTimes;171864]Never figured the Cu.Inches, but I'm pretty sure it's more than most fancy rectangular pans.QUOTE]

22.5 inches is what wiki gives as the average diameter of a 55 gallon drum.

so the area of the pan is ~400 sq. in.

i think the grand requires at least 250 sq in.

the napa oil drain pans are only 16 inches in diameter (~200sq.in.)
stribtw is online now   Reply With Quote