Fire blanket (for use alone, not under firepan) - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-25-2012   #1

Truckee, California
Fire blanket (for use alone, not under firepan)

Does anyone know where I might be able to order (online) a fire blanket like the one in the link?

4-K Outdoor Supply - The Fire Blanket

If not, I'll start calling the dealers on that page to see if they still carry them. Need one of these for a river out in CA.

Thanks guys!

GregMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have two of the ones in your link. The first I got at REI and the second from Outfitters Supply. Neither of them carry them anymore from what I can see. NRS and DRE carry a different brand of fire blanket. You can probably find them at welding supply stores also?
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMB
Does anyone know where I might be able to order (online) a fire blanket like the one in the link?

4-K Outdoor Supply - The Fire Blanket

If not, I'll start calling the dealers on that page to see if they still carry them. Need one of these for a river out in CA.

Thanks guys!
Greg-
The problem with this solution is you generate a lot of ash and charred soil as you need to cover the blanket enough so the blanket doesnt melt and the heat doesnt char the sand/earth below the fire. Thats a lot of dirt to harvest and dispose of

Some of this invariably will spill past the blanket as it has no sides, leaving quite a bit of evidence of the fire

A responsible boater practicing leave no trace should pack out and remove these ashes and dirt instead of finding a place to discard them. Mine make it to our compost pile at the end of the trip

You can do much better using a commercial firepan, a few river rocks to elevate, and a much smaller ash pile that will fit in a small ammocan

If you do responsibly pack them you wind up being able to use the same dirt/charcoal for the base of your next days fire. I start my trip with a 1/8" sprinkle of sand and end each day with some nice chunks of charcoal good for the following days burn

I've even seen firepan makers are starting to custom make their pans to specific dimensions to fit just below a cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012   #4

portland, Oregon
Also - dont know the regs on the river you are floating but most areas are slowly adapting to GC style regs, (dont quote me)

Metal firepan with 3" sides
Legs on the firepan firmly affixed when setup
Fire blanket below the pan

When i started boating (and most rivers in Oregon still) you only need the steel pan with 3" sides
Old 05-27-2012   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have only used my fire blanket below my firepan, never alone. I have set some hot coals on it once, and it definitely will char the fire blanket.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012   #6

Truckee, California
Yeah the regs for this river are what Avatard originally described above (a fireblanket with about 2 inches of soil on it, fire on top of that soil). They are not like GC regs.

I R2, paddle only, so usually only do squaw fires. However, Avatard does have valid concerns over the impact. Several ash disposal sites are located at/near the takeout, which is nice.
GregMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
An alternative to the 40 lb steel firepan is a cheap 18" charcoal grill. That's what I take on overnights when its just a couple of us and no one else to show off my mondo GC compliant heavy duty firepan to. A whole lot easier to carry.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012   #8

Mesa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
=Avatard

I've even seen firepan makers are starting to custom make their pans to specific dimensions to fit just below a cooler

I've thought about trying this but I decided I don't want to lift my heavy cooler to get the firepan out.
snakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012   #9

portland, Oregon
I've got one that fits under the 94 qt "breakfast cooler"

This cooler is usually 1/2 packed max (so you can find stuff in it) so its not so bad to lift

Since many times we dont leave our coolers near the boat (bears) we wind up removing all of them anyhow.

Hmm. What if you placed a firepan above the cooler and brought some ethafoam to line the firepan when it sits atop the cooler (keep it from garfing the cooler lid)
Old 05-27-2012   #10

The Big Smoke, Washington
Harbor Freight sells a cheap-o fire blanket that I recon would atleast last a few trips: 6 Ft x 8 Ft Fiberglass Welding Blanket

I buy a few 'nicer' blankets for torching/demo jobs a year from a local welding supply shop, but they're on account and I've no idea what they actually cost. IIRC it's around $90 though.

Something I do when torching or cutting directly over a blanket is to soak it with water. Cuts down on the little pin holes and such, and generally makes em' last a bit longer.
constructeur is offline   Reply With Quote