Finally, A Beer Can Carrier That Won't Make You Sick And Kill You - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 06-18-2013   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2003
Finally, A Beer Can Carrier That Won't Make You Sick And Kill You

Hey all, so I thought I'd try to make a contribution to the forums by posting instructions and pictures for making what I like to call the Can-Can. It's basically just a place to stuff your empties on the river. However, the same technique can be used to help secure a 5 gal bucket in a boat. Much cheaper than the special harness made for buckets and seems to work pretty well, although admittedly I've never flipped a boat to test it.

You will need:
1 Home Depot (or similar) 5 gallon bucket
1 Lid for said bucket
1 4' cam strap (can be ignored or substituted)
1 6' cam strap (can be ignored or substituted)
1 utility knife
1 dremel tool (or previously mentioned utility knife and patience overwhelming)

That's about it. It's a really simple procedure and you can do it in less than 30 minutes.

More pictures of this process are posted on Flikr.

First: Take your lid, trace out a pattern similar to the opening on a beer can, but larger. Cut along this trace pattern. You should end up with a lid that now has a flap in it.

Now, you can stop here if you want. The only thing you have to strap the bucket in is that cheesy handle at this point though.

Part Two: To make this bucket, or any similar bucket more river worthy, take the handle and remove it from the bucket. This is pretty easy but may take a little strength to bend the hooked ends out of the handle holes. Once the original handle is removed, take your dremel and cut out slits, about 1" wide, in the plastic part where the handle attached. You will make 3 cuts on each attachment point, left side, top, right side. The bottom of the tabs are already open. Take care to center your cuts as to leave the most material possible in place at the corners.

If you want to, and I kind of recommend it, flip the bucket over. Cut another 1" notch in the bottom lip of the bucket, being very careful not to cut INTO the bucket. You just want to remove the lip directly beneath the former handle attachment points.

Now, take your 4' strap and thread it around the bucket and through the left and right side cutouts.

Do the same with the 6' strap except this one goes down through the top cut outs and around the bottom of the bucket, fitting into the notches you cut in the bottom lip, then back up through the opposite side's cutout.

That's about it. Now you can strap this bucket into your boat and it will stay in all but the most extreme situations (ideally).

Now, while you're on the river you can drop your empty cans into the bucket rather than have them take up space in your cooler.

I have also done this with a couple extra buckets and instead of the regular top attached a gamma lid on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130612_075604.jpg
Views:	1040
Size:	675.1 KB
ID:	6484   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130612_075440.jpg
Views:	1241
Size:	607.8 KB
ID:	6485  

Name:	20130612_075515.jpg
Views:	1084
Size:	623.5 KB
ID:	6486   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130612_075925.jpg
Views:	1051
Size:	714.4 KB
ID:	6487  

Name:	20130612_075659.jpg
Views:	1024
Size:	769.1 KB
ID:	6488   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130612_075913.jpg
Views:	997
Size:	945.8 KB
ID:	6489  

Name:	20130612_080028.jpg
Views:	1856
Size:	894.8 KB
ID:	6490   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130612_080013.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	843.1 KB
ID:	6491  

Name:	20130612_075803.jpg
Views:	1174
Size:	954.6 KB
ID:	6492  

CommanderKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013   #2

Denver, Colorado
I prefer the gamma lid and I just replace the metal handle with 5mm cord.
skipowpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #3

Calgary, Alberta
I think the main benefit to this system is you don't have to bother opening and closing the bucket to get cans in.

I like it!
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I want you to drink enough beer to fill it 3/4ths full and then flip and share the results before I commit my favorite HD bucket, lid, and two popular straps.
melted_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I've got a similar set up. Mine is a little more ghetto though. I pulled the wire bucket handle out and reamed out the original holes so that I could get some half inch webbing through them. Clip that wherever you want. Cut a flap in the top and your ready. My dog keeps getting his foot stuck in it though, he's nuts though! He only sits still if we're going through a rapid.
Old 06-18-2013   #6

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by melted_ice View Post
I want you to drink enough beer to fill it 3/4ths full and then flip and share the results before I commit my favorite HD bucket, lid, and two popular straps.
I volunteer for this job.

I'll make one, perform this test and report back.

Last year on a safe and easy float, we had 2 girls throw up and pass out... On the boat... Before we pulled over and set up camp.

I was very proud.
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013   #7
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
My wife can talk for hours about the storage of empty beer cans. On Dolores running through Bucks Alley, she was bailing and trying to get the duffle bag full of empty beer cans to stay out of the way. You know, cause I had both of them in the bow of the boat.

In frustration, she started kicking the bag. It became a sort of "dance of the can can"..............Kick the bag.........fill the bucket..........kick the bag........pull the bucket up...........dump the bucket...........kick the bag...........fill the bucket........kick the bag...........pull the bucket up.....

and so on.

We pull off, and she's limping around complaining her foot hurts. I think she's just trying to dodge packing up our shit. Cause, you know, she always does that (not).

The next day at home she's still bitching about her foot, so I send her to the Doctor with a note pinned to her coat, says

"Doc Baker; She is no good to me this way, please fix her."

Four hours later she comes in, with a cast on her foot and another note pinned to her coat.

"Have had no other complaints about her, everyone else seems satisfied. She should not do any house work for the next month."

Turns out she managed to break several bones in her foot.

Since she never did housework to begin with, that wasn't a big deal.

But, when I asked her who the doctor was referring to when he mentioned "everyone else" she went silent on me and refused to answer any further questions on the subject.

I suspect a conspiracy between her and the doctor. I mean, how the hell do you break your foot kicking an empty beer can?
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013   #8

DGO, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
i have a very similar set up on my raft for empty beers. one thing that i did different with mine was to drill 1/8 inch holes in the bottom of the bucket to drain out beer and water that ends up in it
Old 06-19-2013   #9

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
We've been running a 3 gallon with a simple slit in the top. It basically only accepts crushed cans at that point. I like what you did with the straps!
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupido76 View Post
Last year on a safe and easy float, we had 2 girls throw up and pass out... On the boat... Before we pulled over and set up camp.
Unpossible. I didn't realize Canadians could drink enough to have to throw up. Never seen a truly drunk Canadian, but beer sure seems to disappear around them.

....must have been American girls.

:lmao: @ Schutzie!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer