fart floor blow out - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-24-2011   #1

EMT
fart floor blow out

Here is my situation. older sb boat with a blown floor seam. boat is too old for proper repair to be cost effective.

i played with the thought of cutting out the floor and run like the cats, but found the boat would set too low. the design requires that 5th chamber for floatation.

does anyone have any info on an injectable foam that i can put in the floor permanently. something that wont breakdown under pressure.

or what are the thoughts of glueing a slab of foam to the underside of the raft. or maybe even lacing on an inflatable bladder. like a smaller floor from another raft.

could i cut out existing floor and lace in a generic replacement. and how much for a replacement floor?

thanks for your ideas.

riverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011   #2

Boise, Idaho
Is it an I beam floor?
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #3

EMT
i believe so. it had been reworked prior to me buying it. now its sooo old i can't even get any warranties when i have a patch put on it. every time i take it in for work they try to sell me a new boat. its sad really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011   #4

Boise, Idaho
That's a bummer. I actually don't own any i beam floored boats or rubber boats(which I assume it is). A new floor will be expensive, unless you get a huge piece of fabric and turn it into a bucket boat. You may be able to fabricate your own self-bailing floor, but I'm not sure what you would want to use for flotation. I'm sure someone will chime in with an idea, as well as a smart ass remark or two : )
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #5

EMT
I suppose turning it into a bucket boat is an idea. i would only have to patch the drain holes. i'm open to all ideas and a few smart ass remarks as well. im sure i'll catch it for the dyslexia in the post title.
Old 03-25-2011   #6

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverdave

i played with the thought of cutting out the floor and run like the cats, but found the boat would set too low. the design requires that 5th chamber for floatation.

If you want to carry 1000lbs load maybe. What is the tube diameter and waterline of the boat? And what do you and your frame weigh?
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #7

EMT
its true, we are fat with gear. often supporting canoers and kayakers. not to mention i'm a gadget geek.

i am thinking of expanding urethane foam. i'm stumped on how to get it in though.
Old 03-25-2011   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Pictures! get some pictures up to help get our brain juices flowin'! This will give us buzzards an idea on what needs to be repaired and how big the job needs to be.

As far as the expanding foam goes, unless the repair job is huge and there's no saving the floor, it seems like a bad idea to me. you'd forever have to keep the boat inflated, the floor will be a large hard mass and probably will come out really lumpy and misshapen.

If the repairs not too big, I'd maybe try taking some strong thread and sew it through both sides of the floor. If you leave this thread loose enough, you'll still have enough room for an air chamber, but tight enough to help reduce the blow out. When done, patch both sides (maybe even twice) to fully cover the thread and your handy work.

If you try this, let us know how it goes, I've never done it before...
fishpyro is offline   Reply With Quote