fairly cheap seat/table deck - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-29-2009   #1
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
fairly cheap seat/table deck

Had this on about 5 week long trips, works good. Adjustable legs from roll-a-table ($25 when I baught them a couple years ago). Each leg is adustable, making it easy to have a level table in uneven ground, also can sit low to fit in the Teepee when it is nasty. Oak lap joint supports underneath to limit warping. A few cots of polyacrylic to protect from water. Some velocro and angle stups underneath to stow the legs. T-nuts gorilla glued in to fit the roll-a-table leg screws. Sized to fit my super duper puma for a bench seat. The oak support underneath fit just inside the length and width of the frame bay and keep the board from sliding in any direction. About $100 bucks total and about 1 lazy day to build. Hope this helps other design/build a table
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5290016.JPG
Views:	1063
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	1536   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5290018.JPG
Views:	606
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	1538  

Name:	P5290019.JPG
Views:	612
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	1539   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5290020.JPG
Views:	1035
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	1540  

Name:	Chief Rankins.jpg
Views:	1040
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shappart Owyhee 2009 (2).jpg
Views:	585
Size:	616.0 KB
ID:	1542  

Name:	P5290017.JPG
Views:	616
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	1543  

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009   #2

Calgary, Alberta
That's pretty slick. I like items that serve more than one purpose in the back-country.
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
table

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupido76 View Post
That's pretty slick. I like items that serve more than one purpose in the back-country.
There are lots of comercially available table/seat decks but they are kind of big and wouldn't fit my super duper puma very well, so a small homemade one that was less than 1/2 the cost seemed like a good idea. Of course you could use other legs, such as threaded pipe with fitings and other stuff, but the roll-a-table legs are sturdy enough (though you won't be having any kinky action on this table), are light, and adjustable in hight which really kick ass on sloping beaches or on cobble/rocky shores. For those using the standard roll-a-tables I recommend getting the adjustable legs, which is what I got the legs for origionally, then ended up using them for the seat deck/table project.

Looks like they are still $25. Order them from here (this is the retail side owned by the guy how invented the roll-a-"stuff" http://www.campspecialties.com/roll-...ustable%20legs

The legs fit regular sized T-nuts available at any hardware store, though I don't know the specific size off hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009   #4

Building one also but stealing the legs off a old folding table. I am going to cut slots in the table so it can double as a backboard if the situation arises.
rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #5
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
If you mean backboard (like to immobilze and injured person) lets hope that is one use you never need.

I am also thinking that if you made two identical table decks for a bigger boat with more hatches (or had a budy and you each had identical table decks), you could make a pretty nice beer-pong setup. But then, you might be increasing your odds of needing to use a deck as a backboard (beer-pong has been known to lead to some severe injuries).
Old 05-29-2009   #6

Yes that is what I meant. I agree hope to never use it but its better to be prepaired then unprepaired.
rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #7

Calgary, Alberta
Is there a seat that could be easily attached for rowing and removed for use as a table? I.e. a simple bracket or something?
Old 05-29-2009   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Is there a seat that could be easily attached for rowing and removed for use as a table? I.e. a simple bracket or something?
If you had your seat bolted to a board, then you could just strap your seat/board right over the table. Essentially the same as sitting on a cooler.
Old 05-29-2009   #9

Calgary, Alberta
Does strapping it down result in some play of the seat for powerful rowing strokes? Can you secure it down really well with just some cam straps?
Old 05-29-2009   #10

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Does strapping it down result in some play of the seat for powerful rowing strokes? Can you secure it down really well with just some cam straps?
I strap the seat board down with 4 straps. Each end, one to the front, one to the back. It doesn't move, and the cooler is just sitting on straps so it is the top straps holding everything solid. Check out my avatar for how well it holds.