euro cyphur kayak first Kayak - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-27-2009   #1

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
euro cyphur kayak first Kayak

Hell Boaters,

I was given an euro cyphur yesterday and was wondering if it would make a reasonable first kayak. I've duckied class III and sea kayaked for about a year. I would like to use it for class II/III creeks like the Upper Taylor once I get a little practice. Thanks for any input.. It has a float bag and reasonable skirt.

Thanks,
Mark

nosrednakram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2009   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
It's an old school creek boat meant for a bigger person. How much do you weigh? It will be stable but it all depends on how big you are. I started out in a Cyphur years ago and being smaller, the boat was too big. My kayaking did not improve until I switched from the 80gal Cyphur to a 68gal MicroX.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009   #3

Gunnison, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
It's an old school creek boat meant for a bigger person. How much do you weigh? It will be stable but it all depends on how big you are. I started out in a Cyphur years ago and being smaller, the boat was too big. My kayaking did not improve until I switched from the 80gal Cyphur to a 68gal MicroX.
I'm not a small person 6'3" 210 lbs. I'm hoping to start with rolling in the pool this winter if I can get in

Thanks for the reply,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Cyphur

I learned in a Cyphur as well, when the club I paddled with got one and it was the hottest new thing out there. It will be a great boat for you to learn to roll in because you should have success quickly. The Cyphur is longer, narrower and rounder compared to most contemporary boat designs. You will be able to paddle it no problem and it will track very well. Once (if) you move on to something newer you'll see how the edges (chines) and rocker make quite and difference.

Have fun and welcome to it!

Cheers,

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosrednakram View Post
I'm not a small person 6'3" 210 lbs. I'm hoping to start with rolling in the pool this winter if I can get in

Thanks for the reply,
Mark
ibyakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009   #5

Gunnison, Colorado
Thanks for the feedback I had no idea about the kayak and couldn't find much information. I'm looking forward to it and think mountainbuzz is awesome for helping me out again.

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 11-29-2009   #6
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I had one in the old days. I also liked the heavy duty nose cone for slamming into rocks as a newby. It would get crazy high enders too. LeuVive out of Twin Lakes used to rep them. Mine stayed upside down in the sun for too long and eventually cracked under the seat in the second box of the Piedra ... so keep it inside.

Tags
cyphur, kayaking