Electric Pump - "The Hurricane" - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-07-2009   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Electric Pump - "The Hurricane"

Aloha-

I am looking for an electric pump to use for inflating an oldschool 18' Riken (Havasu?). I was poking around the web and found the Dyna electric pump, but apparently that is too small for my usage. I also found the Hurricane.

Electric,Barrel and foot pumps for Inflatable Rafts and Inflatable Kayaks

Does anyone have any feedback on this electric pump? I believe it's $85 and pumps to 1.5 psi. I have a Sevylor dual hand pump as well for topping off.

Also, does anyone know what a typical psi is for the Rikens?

Thanks!

Dave

RioBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009   #2

Tabernash, Colorado
The best electric blower EVER

The Hurricane should do for a car battery electric pump. It will be slow and your boat will need hand pumping, as all car battery powered blowers do. Most put ins have plug ins and I have to share my fav pick for blowers:

It's a bit pricier than most, but Man of Rubber makes the BEST blower ever! It inflates to top off pressure every time and we have never had any issues with parts breaking like the big red blowers (that's personally and with commercial guides using them every day) Check it out:

https://store.whitewatergear.com/riv...-one-hose.html

That's the only blower I will use now...
roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Cool, thanks Roxy.

Anyone else have any feedback? Particularly about specific psi's to blow up the raft to. Does it matter or should I just pump it up to what "feels" right.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009   #4

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
What size tubes does your 18 foot Riken have?
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #5

Boulder, Colorado
"What size tubes?"

That is a good question, and one I probably won't be able to answer until I get the electric blower for which I started this post.

Ah, the age old "chicken and egg" dilemna.

Can you provide any feedback with this lame answer?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2009   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I think that the Aire Hurricane is a re-branded version of this $39 blower:

Amazon.com: Kwik Tek Airhead High Pressure Air Pump (12-Volt): Sports & Outdoors

I recently bought the Kwik Tek one and it is working fine so far. It gets the tubes most of the way, but you need to top them off with a manual pump. The Aire does appear to come with a different set of adapters, otherwise it looks identical.

Since you live in Boulder I could probably loan you my blower for a day to check it out.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #7

Or buy an inverter.

A friend of mine has one and uses a 110V blower. It works pretty well.

When I'm inflating my boat around the house to work on it, I just use a shop vac. Each section takes about 30 seconds to inflate.
alanbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Raftus - thanks for the lead on that. So, I'm guessing you use the Kwik Tek to pump up a sizeable raft? My main concern is that the pump wouldn't be sufficient to run for the amount of time it would take to fill up my 18' boat. I know that this was an issue with the Dyna pump I was originally looking at.
Old 06-11-2009   #9

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioBaja View Post
Cool, thanks Roxy.

Anyone else have any feedback? Particularly about specific psi's to blow up the raft to. Does it matter or should I just pump it up to what "feels" right.

Cheers.
It depends on the fabric. Check with the mfgr if you really want to know.
Old 06-11-2009   #10

San Juan Islands, Washington
I bought a Sevelor "high pressure pump" about 5 years ago that looks very similar to the Aire and Quik Tek pumps but it had a folding handle (that I removed), It puts out over 3psi (checked with a gauge) and is still going strong. I put a longer heavier power cord and good clamps on it so I could inflate my boat on the trailer from the back of my car and replaced the hose with a short piece that fits in the valve using it like a LVM pump. I think I paid about $15.00 because the box was open and missing the adapters that I didn't want anyway.
It has no problem inflating my 14' boat (22' tubes) and it seems to be as fast as the LVM pumps. I think it would get pretty close to topping it off but it struggles with the spring tension of the valves after a while so I use a K pump to finish up. I looked for another a few years ago to have as a spare but haven't seen any since I bought this one, $40.00 is a pretty good deal.
Rule also makes a pump very similar to the LVM that may be worth looking at too, A friend has been using one for a year or two without complaints.

I just checked the output on my pump with a guage, 2.1 psi, a little lower than I thought but still not bad
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote