drytop necessary??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-03-2006   #1

Canon City, Colorado
drytop necessary???

this rookie has a wetsuit...(long sleeved, and full coverage of legs). do u think i need a drytop also? would a splash jacket suffice? tryin to get decked out, but dont want to buy stuff i dont need. i know that ark. river is cold water

thanks

Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2006   #2

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
On the Ark, you could get away without a drytop a lot of the time but you would definately need one if you plan on doing much spring and fall boating. A splash top is a good affordable alternative if most of your boating will be in the summer. Though, eventually, you will want to get a drytop.

COUNT
Old 10-03-2006   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
I know a person named Norm whose teeth were chattering in Browns this summer. If you are that person then buy a drytop! If you arent then I think it is a very good idea.
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2006   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
I will say it like I was told when I first started. Its easy to cool off, hard to warm up. Meaning play or roll to cool off.

greg
Old 10-03-2006   #5
dwk

Boulder, Colorado
I wouldn't waste any money trying to make do with a cheaper alternative because you're going to want a drytop anyway.
dwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006   #6

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Keep in mind -- in spring, that water was snow not long ago. Especially if you plan to work up to creeking pretty fast, you will end up buying a dry top anyway. don't waste money on the splash top...take those bills and put them with a few more and get a drytop.

Also, IMHO, go the extra mile and get a GOOD one. Kokatats are spendy, but most will agree the best. If you get a cheepo and it leaks you'll be pissed you wasted the dough. I wish I had one and next time I will. But if you're broke, in a spot, others will do. Later when you win the powerball you can upgrade.
Old 10-03-2006   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
kokatat rogue....sweet
Old 10-03-2006   #8

Canon City, Colorado
thanks guys for your opinions

pretty unanimous vote here....which makes sense. ive a friend who kayaks a bunch and agrees....so i'll bite the bullet and sell pencils on the street corner for extra $$
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006   #9

Da Fort, Colorado
I got mine at a swap for $80. It is a Patagonia (Nemo I think), all the gaskets work and its been going for three seasons since. Look around, you might find a deal.
Old 10-04-2006   #10

Denver
NRS makes a good drytop, and a little less expensive than kokotat, etc. The Ark is where ive learned most everything i know, and in the spring, i LOVE a good dry-top. Especially down in the gorge in high water.
willieWAO is offline   Reply With Quote