Dry Top Comparisons - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-09-2017   #1

Awesome, Colorado
Dry Top Comparisons

Looking for a new dry top for the spring. My budget is around $250 so I'm deciding between the Level 6 Duke and the Stohlquist Freeplay dry tops, which are both on sale right now.

Any experience with either or both of this that can sway me one way or another? Any others in this price range I should consider? I'm a rafter, btw, but figured that the kayaking forum would have more input on dry tops.

Thanks!

climbbd510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2017   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
At that price point I would recommend the Kokatat Hydrus 3L Stoke. I have paddled with Stohlquist, NRS and IR tops before and nothing beats Kokatat. The only comparison would be Sweet, but their prices are a good bit higher. Gore-Tex is going to be best, but apparently prices on all Gore-Tex tops have significantly increased since I bought my Rogue because I remember it being under $300 in like 2010...

https://coloradokayak.com/products/k...ke-drytop-mens
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I believe the Canadians refer to them as Leaky Six. Stohlquist is localish and seems to be generous with warranties and repairs. That's all I know.

'merica first.
Make Drytops Great Again.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2017   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
I believe the Canadians refer to them as Leaky Six. Stohlquist is localish and seems to be generous with warranties and repairs. That's all I know.

'merica first.
I like Jim Stohlquist and have paddle with him many times, but the fact is he sold the majority share of his company to Aqua Lung in 2004 and since then all their products have been manufactured in China and the quality has gone steadily downhill.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017   #5

Awesome, Colorado
Thanks for all the input and the skinny on the Kokatat. Looks like that's the way to go!
climbbd510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017   #6

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post

'merica first.
I have a Stohlquist Freeryde and have been happy with it. I would have preferred the Freeplay, but I got mine at $180 on sale. I don't know how durable it'll be, but so far, so good.

The great part of Stohlquist seems to be their warranty department. They are extremely generous. A friend of mind bought a used dry suit that was no longer keeping water out. He sent it to their warranty department, and said that it was not repairable, and gave him a brand new suit, free of charge. He didn't have a receipt or anything.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017   #7

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
I'd suggest checking out the Immersion Research drytops. I found the quality to be better than L6 and Stohlie tops over the years, especially in the last 5+ years. They have a number of tops and sizes in last year's colors on sale in your price range and they have good customer service.

https://www.immersionresearch.com/st...ter-wear-sale/
FatmanZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017   #8

Indian Hills, Colorado
Agree with everything here. If you poke around, you might find a deal on a close-out Sweet or Kokotat. I picked up a Sweet a few years ago for something like $175 on closeout and it's been great. Second on Level 6 being crap - everything I've bought from them has fallen apart within one season or less of moderate use.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote