Dry top and arm hair? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-21-2013   #1

cape may, New Jersey
Dry top and arm hair?

I recently purchased a Kokatat goure rogue and too it of for a test run today. Being my first dry top I wanted to test it at how dry it was. I would brace on both sides for a while keeping my arms deeper in the water, and would roll over and just hang out for a bit. I love the top very comfortable and cozy. My only concern was that I would notice that my forearms felt moist and after taking the top off I noticed the inside of the arm cuffs were wet. Not doubting Kokatats quality and constructing I figured that it was from prolonged deeper exposure and also my arms are a bit hairy around the wrist. So I just assumed that it was the combination of the two but wanted to hear some other opinions and if I should exchange it before using it any further.

Thanks,
Murphy

homeworld8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013   #2
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Dry tops will let water in through the waist and pool in elbow/forearm. Also sweat can add a surprising amount of moisture to your under layers.
Old 10-21-2013   #3

cape may, New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
Dry tops will let water in through the waist and pool in elbow/forearm. Also sweat can add a surprising amount of moisture to your under layers.
I thought about that but my shirt was dry up my sides and on the sleeves. And I thought from sweat too but I wasn't hot at all, air/ sea temp was around 65.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013   #4
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Not sure if this is what you have going on, but I have noticed this problem when I've had the gasket slightly overlapping my under layer. Consciously set the entire gasket so that it lays only against your skin and does not touch the sleeves of your under layers. If you still have leakage, you're going to have to shave your forearms, test again, and come up with a good story for your friends (hint: say it has to do with the ladies).
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #5

cape may, New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
Not sure if this is what you have going on, but I have noticed this problem when I've had the gasket slightly overlapping my under layer. Consciously set the entire gasket so that it lays only against your skin and does not touch the sleeves of your under layers. If you still have leakage, you're going to have to shave your forearms, test again, and come up with a good story for your friends (hint: say it has to do with the ladies).
Haha yea I was wondering what I was gonna say if I decided to shave them.
Old 10-21-2013   #6
GoBro

BZN, Montana
You could probably coat the contact point at your wrist with Vaseline to give a better seal and get the hair to lay down without damaging the rubber. Any embarrassment will wash off in a few minutes unlike the shaved wrists.
Old 10-21-2013   #7
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Speaking of ladies, I wouldn't mix latex and Vaseline. Petroleum based products can cause latex to deteriorate - I mean, I heard, from a, uh, friend.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #8
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Welp there you go don't do that.
Old 10-21-2013   #9
addict

Golden, Colorado
this sounds like a question josh mack could answer
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #10

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Try pulling the gasket up your arm a bit: Whitewater Troubleshooter - Personal Gear - Episode 1 - YouTube

(that link goes to a specific spot in the video about ridges that can be created by veins in your arms)
mdignan is offline   Reply With Quote