Dry Suits for Kids? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-21-2013   #1

North Bay, Ontario
Paddling Since: 1987
Dry Suits for Kids?

I'm wondering what people are using for their kids when cold water paddling. My son is 12 years old and his season has been shorted greatly by the cold water and air temperature. I have not seen much online for kids drysuits or even dry tops and pants. I find it hard to justify spending lots of money on something he will outgrow in a year or two at most.

If anyone has ideas or can point me in the direction of gear that might work I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Captain Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
I'm wondering what people are using for their kids when cold water paddling. My son is 12 years old and his season has been shorted greatly by the cold water and air temperature. I have not seen much online for kids drysuits or even dry tops and pants. I find it hard to justify spending lots of money on something he will outgrow in a year or two at most. If anyone has ideas or can point me in the direction of gear that might work I would appreciate it. Thanks
I've got a Kokotat dry suit that my son wore once or twice on the Selway. How tall is your son? Mine was about 5'6' or so in 07 when it was last used. It's non breathable nylon, but it kept him warm and dry on a pre-season trip or two.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #3
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I bought this for my boy 3-4 years ago:

Kokatat Kid's SuperNova Paddling Suit | Youth Dry Suit

Still going strong, he is 10 now and still wearing it.
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
I bought this for my boy 3-4 years ago: Kokatat Kid's SuperNova Paddling Suit | Youth Dry Suit Still going strong, he is 10 now and still wearing it.
Kazak, that looks like the one I have, minus the socks.
Old 10-21-2013   #5

North Bay, Ontario
My son is only about 5'1" right now but by next spring he might be 5'6". That suit looks great and the price is not bad if I can get a couple of years out of it.

wildh2onriver if you still have that old suit and are interested in selling it let me know how much. If you could send me some pictures that would be great and take a look for leaks.

Thanks
Captain Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
My son is only about 5'1" right now but by next spring he might be 5'6". That suit looks great and the price is not bad if I can get a couple of years out of it. wildh2onriver if you still have that old suit and are interested in selling it let me know how much. If you could send me some pictures that would be great and take a look for leaks. Thanks
Will do. Email me at [email protected] with your contact info and I'll send you some pics.
Old 10-21-2013   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
you're about ready to look at small mens sizes. Check out kayak academy.com for used ones.

Riley's twelve and has been getting 2-3 years out of a supernova. Not much left if it fits through the third season. Probably spring for a rear one next time. The SN does not have a neck gasket. If he's kaykaing you'll need to add one. Hard to get buy without a pee zip either, which is another add on for the SN. The Tropos fabric does not hold up like goretex.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #8

Louisville, Colorado
Kokotat can also lengthen arms and legs for something like $75 after the next growth spurt.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #9

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
Yep, My daughter has been using the Kokatat Supernova for the last year. We push the seasons pretty well for family paddling. It has been an essential piece of gear. Like Dave said the material is not very tough. I've seam griped the seams in the legs and that is helping. It seems to get creases where the seam tape is and tears along the edge. The seam grip really made a huge difference.

We are going to be putting the neoprene neck in as she is play-boating more.

Keeping your kids warm is key the being happy and ready to get on the river.

Get the Kokatat union suite also. They work great together.
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #10

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
I have three boys paddling and haven't yet sprung for a drysuit (though I have considered the SuperNova) so they've been using combinations of farmer john wetsuits, hydroskin neoprene shirts (or thickskins their choice) and drytops for cold weather paddling. For warmer weather the boys will use thinner neoprene pants, short or long sleeve neoprene tops with short or long sleeve semi-dry/ splash tops. While the wetsuit/drytop combo is not as good as a drysuit, I do like the padded knees on the wetsuits (and pants) for the local small river paddling.

Drytops and splash jackets in small men and women sizes can be picked up new and used on the cheap (mbuzz, boatertalk, craigslist, ebay).
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote