Dry suit decision - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-21-2009   #1
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Dry suit decision

I am thinking of upgrading from a wet suit to a dry suit. I am no kayaker, just a rafter. So I am wondering if I should go with top/pants combo or a one piece dry suit?

Also, which brands should I look for? I am a total dry suit newbie.

Thanks,
Alex

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
It depends on your budget. A full Gore-Tex suit will cost you, but you will be drier for longer in the long run. Look at a Kokatat GMER if you want to go with the Cadillac. It's full Gore-Tex, has a great cut and is backed by one of the top companies in the industry.It's also a $999.
If you want a great dry suit for the money look at the Stohlquist B or G Pod. They make a 3 layer waterproof/breathable suit with lots of accessories (all latex gaskets and waterproof /breathable booties.).It's a front zip too.

The other option too look at is a pair of bibs. If you already have a dry top, you can roll in some bibs and be 95% dry. Unless your swimming alot it shouldn't be a problem. Kokatat TROPOS WHirlpool bibs are a good option.That's the cheapest way out(199 i think).

The nice thing about bibs is that you can use your dry top by itself in the spring.
ckspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009   #3

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I would go with a top and bottom. easier to layer and remove.

Bomber had a set up that rolled together, that would be sweet.

I just think a suit would be to much to deal with layering wise, plus it would either be full on, or the top rolled down, or off. Which, if the top rolled down you get hit with a wave in comes the water. with pants and a top its less likely to happen.

My .02

just sayin'
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
It depends on what type of water you are running. Although a top/pant suit combo can work well (espically for rafting) having a full dry suit is nice for swims and continuous cold weather/water boating.

If you go with a dry suit and you want it to stay dry get a Kokatat.

If you are interested in a suit I have a XXL Kokatat dry suit for a great deal ($300) that I bought and it was too big for me.
Old 10-21-2009   #5
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I am a small guy (5'10" 167 lbs), so XXL would be too big on me, that's a great offer though, thank you.

Thanks for feedback guys. I don't swim much (been lucky so far). So in that case I should probably look at Top/Pants combo, I liked those bibs ideas. I have an NRS top, even though it's not latex, it seems to keep most of the water out.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleboater5.13 View Post
It depends on what type of water you are running. Although a top/pant suit combo can work well (espically for rafting) having a full dry suit is nice for swims and continuous cold weather/water boating.

If you go with a dry suit and you want it to stay dry get a Kokatat.

If you are interested in a suit I have a XXL Kokatat dry suit for a great deal ($300) that I bought and it was too big for me.

I sent you a PM regarding the dry suit
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
If you're looking at a drysuit, you're looking at getting wet (or also just being comfy when it's cold), so why add a gasket in your torso where you could have a gap? I recommend full body, even though they are a pain for bodily functions. They will keep you drier and warmer. But I'm cat-boating, and getting wet every time, regularly. Rafters that I know that go on late fall trips (like the hells canyon I just missed because of a cold - so sad!), also used full body suits.

I got one from OS systems, who make mostly scuba stuff, but they are one of the few companies still making fabric feet. I didn't want any latex, so they made me neoprene gaskets at wrists and neck, and it is way more comfortable. I recommend no matter what, get a neoprene neck. Even kokatat will do that. I've taken some slamming swims, and been just fine dry. BUT, goretex is harder to seal the seams on, and will eventually leak faster than non goretex, so you pay to not be in a plastic bag. My OS suit, even custom fit, was WAY cheaper than the GMER after I told OS I was a member of AW, all you have to do is be a member of any water organization and they'll give you the discount. They even offered that up at the last minute. I had one foot leak, and they fixed it, no problem. Very, very happy. They will also do latex socks and such, pockets where you want, reflective tape, etc.

MADE IN THE USA!
Old 10-21-2009   #8

Groveland, California
Kokatat Supernova is on sale at Cascade Outfitters, $389 ($100 off.) Has socks, latex wrist gaskets and neoprene neck gasket. No personal experience with this suit yet, but will be picking one up myself. According to Kokatat, it is great for rafters...... they make this suit in youth sizes also.....

https://www.cascadeoutfitters.com/in...391946&framein=
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009   #9

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
That sounds like a great deal, and a good mix for non-planned immersion. Don't forget to ALWAYS wear sock (liners) inside fabric socks (think toenails), and always wear shoes or other over them.
Old 10-21-2009   #10

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
Love my OS Systems suit. It is a mistake to think of a drysuit as being also a warmsuit. The only thing that keeps you warm and toasty inside the suit is the layers you wear under the suit. Early last June on the MFS, one layer of fleece was good most days. Lower down on the Main, it started raining and then it took two layers to remain comfortable. This Jan. on the GC, I will be taking three layers and some changes along anticipating freezing, wet weather. Another consideration if you commit to a drysuit is carrying extra gaskets for a field repair in the event one lets go; it happens.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote