Dry Pants, Spray Pants or Wetsuit???? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-01-2010   #1

Cornelia, Georgia
Paddling Since: noob
Dry Pants, Spray Pants or Wetsuit????

Hello again, first off thanks for all the help so far. I have been paddling for about 2 weeks now and I think it awesome. I have just about have all my gear and I have been finding some good closeouts. I really don't need "top of the line stuff" and you guys have been steering me in the right direction so far so Thanks. Now for the question.

I ordered a Mack Dry top so now, should I just spend the extra cash and go with dry pants, I would hate buying a wetsuit or spray pants then having to buy dry pants later because it's too cold or whatever. I rather cry once now than twice.

I am in North Ga. so it does get really cold here and the guys I kayak with will hit the river as long as there is no ice on it. They say a little snow wont bother the kayaks.

Thanks again in advance
Jim

JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
go with the dry pants!

and maybe buy some fleece pants to wear inside the dry pants
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #3

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
I have a pair of IR splash pants, dont like the booties on the dry pants. As long as you layer the waist correctly you stay dry. They do get quite warm on the warmer days. For the in-between days I wear lighter xtrasport pants. The xtrasport pants are cheaper (found mine at http://sierratradingpost.com) and work well with fleece underlayer. They just dont seal as good at the ankles like the IR pants do.
LineDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010   #4

Cornelia, Georgia
OK, Tomorrow is payday so I will pick some up. That should be my last piece of gear I need this season, well other than booties and gloves.

Thanks guys I think that's good advice

Jim
Old 09-03-2010   #5

Hood River, Oregon
Hi Guys,
Thought I would chime in here- We do offer a lightweight version of the Splash Pants (which will be titled Competition Pants for 2011), called the Zephyr Pants. They retail about $90 less than the Competition Pants and form a pretty good seal around the ankles, and also has a neoprene waist band. With that said, they are not as dry as the others, as they have a velcro "hook & loop" ankle seal, but they are good for the really hot days with warmer water temps. Cheers!

Jesse-IR
kayak2the9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #6
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Drypants are worth the slight price difference over splash pants. I use the NRS blackrock pants and they are great.
Old 09-03-2010   #7

Cornelia, Georgia
Thanks again everyone for the help, I ordered a pair of drypants and all of the rest of the gear I needed

I am really excited to hit the with my own stuff!

Theopholis-I was actually looking at the Black Rocks and had a hard time choosing between them and the Stohluist Neptunes because the specs are so similar. I chose the Neptunes because I found some on clearance at a great price. Hopefully I didn't make a bad choice.

JimT.
Old 09-06-2010   #8

Provo, Utah
Hope I am not reviving a post that not longer has any relevance to your gear purchase, but... here goes.

I talked with the Kokatat rep at the Utah outdoor retailer show about the driest non-drysuit pant. He recommended the Kokatat dry bibs.

I have since purchased those bibs and used them just this last weekend. The dry bibs mate with any dry top and form a pretty much water tight seal. It really is the next best thing to getting a drysuit. Gaskets at the ankle and the seal with the drytop keep you pretty much 100% dry. The price is what really got me though. CKS has these on sale for $165. You can't beat that imho.
afaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010   #9

Provo, Utah
Fail >_< I just noticed in your reply to theo that you already purchased some pants. Happy paddling!
afaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010   #10
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
Theopholis-I was actually looking at the Black Rocks and had a hard time choosing between them and the Stohluist Neptunes because the specs are so similar. I chose the Neptunes because I found some on clearance at a great price. Hopefully I didn't make a bad choice.

JimT.
Cool. I'd like to hear how they hold up down the road. My drytops are Stohlquist and they make great gear. Revisit this thread down the road. I'd like to hear your review.