Dry Box Width - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-15-2010   #1

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2005
Dry Box Width

I am getting ready to order a new raft and drybox. The boat's interior width is listed at 44" and the Cambridge box I am looking at is offered in 40" or 44" width. Do I want an aluminum box touching tubes or should I have some space? The box will be riding behind my seat. Any thoughts are appreciated.

hialtitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010   #2

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I haven't had any trouble with my box that touches both tubes when it's in the boat. It's been used in that boat for 5 years, and the boat's 25 years old. I'd measure the boat for actual width, though. Tubes tend to bulge flat, a little bit, so listed dimensions could be slightly different than actual dimensions. Having to push the box down in would be less than ideal, but if it just slides in nice and touches, it's probably fine.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010   #3

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Pushing the box in just a little back to spec dimensions is fine - that's what a thwart does. Pay attention to curves in the tubes or floor though...
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010   #4

SMCanyon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
As said measure actual width (with tubes pumped to same pressure as you normally would) and pay attention to whether tubes are starting to curve in.
You might think about having the box made in a 42" width to accommodate curvature.
kb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #5

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
Anything over 36 inches wide might be hard for one person to lift out of the boat (too wide depending on arm length). I like to have some space on either side to store miscelaneous items like pumps, stoves etc...It will fit in the back of a truck better too. Either way I would get the raft and frame set up before ordering the box.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #6

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Dry Box

I would get a custom made dry box with a 42" width, another advantage to a custom box is that you can specify the height of the box to match the drop of your boat exactly, at least an inch off the floor is the norm. I don't believe customs cost that much more since ALL boxes are hand made except for the cheaper (Frontier) dry boxes that are mass produced in China I believe. I'm impressed with the Cambridge Frameworks boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hialtitude View Post
I am getting ready to order a new raft and drybox. The boat's interior width is listed at 44" and the Cambridge box I am looking at is offered in 40" or 44" width. Do I want an aluminum box touching tubes or should I have some space? The box will be riding behind my seat. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #7

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunatly, I have to order both the boat and box unseen, but I am getting a great deal. That also means a custom box is not an option.

I didn't really think about the box being too big and/or heavy but thats a good point.

I am leaning towards the 40" at the moment.
hialtitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #8

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Make sure you have something wedged down into that space or cover it with a deck. A 4" gap on a boat is a perfect ankle catcher - both in flips and when walking around on the boat carrying gear.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010   #9
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I'm with Wavester and all those who go with a box that is full-interior width for the boat. Serves the function that the thwart or crosstube would. If worried about fabric wear put some thin foam on the box. Mine stays in my Avon all summer, year after year, no problem. I'm also with Wavester and recommend custom boxes made the correct depth. My boxes turn out to be 15", with tabs so it hangs directly on the cross bars, and -- important -- only an inch above the frame. Makes for a nice level fit. Most custom boxes are 16" and rise 2-3 inches above the frame. I personally prefer a flatter, more leveled out load. Good luck!
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote