"Dry Box" the new York Pack? Anyone try them? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-25-2010   #1

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
"Dry Box" the new York Pack? Anyone try them?

Pretty big. $150 + shipping. Curious to hear any experiances.

DRY BOX - NO MORE WET GEAR!

MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
yup

and they work.

upside down on the Salt River and this was the only box to not leak.

I was dubious of the rubber straps and put two cam straps on cross wise. I think they helped to keep the rubber dealies in place.

using mine for a kitchen box and it holds a lot of pots, pans, cooking misc gear.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #3

Helena, Montana
thats what i was thinking of using it for as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010   #4

Jenks, Oklahoma
my setup

I have a aluminum kitchen box, but cannot use it on my raft which is a Aire 143. reason being too much of a hassle to load and unload as I would carry it under my Clavey rowers seat.

What I do is put this plastic dry box in the bow space on a Tuff River Stuff net suspended from the dee rings and front cross bar. Fits great. And, this thing will hold a ton of kitchen gear even those tall pots due to the thickness of the dry box lid.

This leaves me a cooler in the front bay, my regular recretec dry box under the Clavey rowers seat. That is where the food stuff goes. and, the recretec did not pass the dry test. I did put in a thicker gasket and maybe that will help.
Old 09-27-2010   #5

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Looks like it would be handy for carrying pots, then doubling duty as dish pans.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #6

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
That would match my boat nicely... LOL It's an odd size for my frame though. I'd have to give up a bay essentially (combine two intoe one) in order to make that work. I wish they made some other sizes...
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #7

Helena, Montana
yeah, its a wierd size, made for canoes. seems like one of those and a rocket box on each side would fit pretty well.

Okieboater-how tough are they? as in crawling over em/standing on em. i tend to be pretty rough on gear. if you put some weight on the top do they flex/bow out? those old plastic dryboxes that nrs used to make had that problem and they stopped being so water tight.

i wonder if they plan to make any other sizes....
Old 10-01-2010   #8

Jenks, Oklahoma
had mine for only a couple years

and so far they look like new

the plastic looks pretty much bomber for normal use. I have never walked or sat on mine, as the plastic does give just a bit. I have loaded all sorts of things on top of them in the raft with no problem. My guess is the occasional step on top would be ok, but I would not use them for a seat.
Old 12-01-2010   #9

Albany, Oregon
RecreTec Dry Box

Hey sorry to hear our box did not pass the test! How old is the box and the gasket? You said you replaced the gasket with a thicker one and that is not a good idea. The gaskets are specially made for us from PORON material and hold their resiliency unlike any neoprene you can buy in the store. Give a call or email if you like and I would be happy to help you get your box so it WILL past the test!
RecreTec is offline   Reply With Quote