Dry box lids, is there a difference? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-15-2011   #1

sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
Dry box lids, is there a difference?

I was looking at buying a dry box and am seeing lots of difference's. Partner steel does a thing where they put raised ridges on the lid called 'oil canning'. It is supposed to keep the lid from going concave. When over time people sit and stand on them which will cause the lid to not seal as well. Does this happen to your dry box with flat lids? That the lid dents after time?

I like the idea of the oil can lid but the partner box( 479.00 plus shipping and tax)will run 100.00 more than the same size box on sale at riverboat works(Having a sale) delivered. ($435.00 for a 18wide*40*16deep Delivered)

The riverboat works guy says that thier box is great quality. I know the Partner steel boxes are nice. Any one have a box from Riverboat works.

Any ideas from people who know? It will be my first dry box, and I don't know that much about them.

joecoolives is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011   #2

I just bought a box from Partner. Paid $340 for it plus shipping. Looks like a great box and they make it to your exact specifications. Running the Grand on August 28th and will put it to the test.
eukwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #3

sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riler View Post
I just bought a box from Partner. Paid $340 for it plus shipping. Looks like a great box and they make it to your exact specifications. Running the Grand on August 28th and will put it to the test.
What is the size if you don't mind me asking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Hell yes it matters! I'd avoid the "shoebox" lid ones since there really is no structural strength to it. Way too easy to leak. I don't know the proper term for the other lid, but it is more like a box on top of a box. Instead of just hanging over the sides, it rests on top with a lip going inside from the bottom. Very nice, I like it and tested our and it passed the bathtub test. I got it from Recretec and am happy with it, except the crappy cable system for holding the lid open is junk. Get one with a strap.
Old 08-15-2011   #5

sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Hell yes it matters! I'd avoid the "shoebox" lid ones since there really is no structural strength to it. Way too easy to leak. I don't know the proper term for the other lid, but it is more like a box on top of a box. Instead of just hanging over the sides, it rests on top with a lip going inside from the bottom. Very nice, I like it and tested our and it passed the bathtub test. I got it from Recretec and am happy with it, except the crappy cable system for holding the lid open is junk. Get one with a strap.
It is not the lip of the box I am talking about.

Most boxes are flat on top. Partner does another step where they bend/press slight lines into the lid like a slight slope to a roof. it is suposed to keep the lid from having a convex bend over time. So I am trying to find out if it has been a problem for people with the flat lids.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

It is like the bends in the top of a can, Loosely called 'oil canning' the lid
Old 08-15-2011   #6

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
My box has a flat lid and is 13 years old. People are always sitting on it and I stand on it frequently. I've had no leak or problem. Got it from AAA in Denver.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #7

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have a Recretec box and haven't had problems with it with walking / sitting on it, although I'm due to replace the gasket. I've got DRE captains boxes and no problems with those. I've never put them through a flip though.
I've run both DRE and Partner boxes commercially and never had a problem with either. Not sure on how much abuse it would take, but we walked on the lids and had multiple people sit on them without ever having a problem with disfigurement.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #8

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
On a new cat's maiden voyage back in '98, I flipped at Skull at high water--short story long--my DRE boxes were bone dry after drifting for 2-3 miles underwater. My t-box was huge--maybe 76" wide and no water...
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #9

sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh2onriver View Post
On a new cat's maiden voyage back in '98, I flipped at Skull at high water--short story long--my DRE boxes were bone dry after drifting for 2-3 miles underwater. My t-box was huge--maybe 76" wide and no water...
Gotta be happy about that.

With a Tbox and a frame with side rails, does it bother you if the box covers the frame?
Old 08-16-2011   #10
Sponsoring Vendors

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Joecoolives,
Good thread, I am anxious to hear more comments from buzz members. The box you ordered is made and may have already been shipped. The ethafoam pad is coming directly from us and has been shipped.
I have no experience with the oil can lids from Partner. I do know Partner Steel is a quality company that makes quality products.
My first box 32 years old has the shoe box lid. It is still in great shape after 10ís of thousands of river miles and even more, bad river road miles. It has leaked on a couple of flips and one bad pin. My attitude was, it wasnít the boxís fault. It just plain got worked and worked hard. I believe the new box style of lid is stronger and less likely to leak when seriously tested.
After 9 years in the business of selling river gear, I have used three different box manufactures. The first one was the only one that we had leakage problems, and that was 6 years ago. This problem was caused by the gasket compressing when sat and walked on, therefore loosening the lid and not allowing it to seal tightly.
The second manufacture we used has been mentioned above and makes a great box, identical to the box we sell now. They are a large manufacturer and the only reason we have switched is because since they are a big company we could not get custom sizes as easily or quickly. The manufacture we have now builds the same box, any size we want, and gets them out in one to two days, and delivered to us or the customer in 7 to 10 days. Since he is out of state we can drop ship to our customer at no more cost than shipping to our shop in CO. This often saves our customer sales tax as well.
We have sold over 200 boxes from the builder with 0 complaints. If we ever get a complaint on one of these boxes we will replace it. All boxes get sat on and walked on. Many of our fishing frames have the seats mounted directly on the box. Some of these fishermen are very big men. So far no leaks and no caved in tops.
The only problem we have with any boxes that we have sold is in shipping. Even though they are boxed, about 2% get scratched or dented being shipped. So far not one scratch or dent made the box leak.
Most of the boxes I have seen that are being sold and made in the USA are of high quality. We are proud of ours and are lucky to have a builder that will custom build any size.
Joecoolives, let me know when you get your box and what you think of the quality.