Dry Box Latches - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-08-2012   #1

Lemooreq, California
Paddling Since: 1969
Dry Box Latches

Just received my Frontier Play dry box and I'm happy with the price & service, gotta say the latches have me stumped; not very ergonomic. Is there a reason they are so user-unfriendly? What is the purpose of the 2 small holes on the "butterfly-shaped" camlatch (for lack of better terminology). The latches are so small and require a lot of force with fingertips to close completely. I've worked with my hands all my life and think my fingers are stronger than average, how does a smaller/weaker person open/close these? I must be missing the obvious somewhere here...............

pvsprme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Does it have a sharp eyelet for a lock that looks like it could lacerate your leg?
Old 07-08-2012   #3

Lemooreq, California
Looks pretty much like the latch NRS boxes use, here's a picture of the Frontier: Aluminum dry box
Mouse over to the thumbnail of the latch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012   #4

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
latches

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvsprme View Post
Just received my Frontier Play dry box and I'm happy with the price & service, gotta say the latches have me stumped; not very ergonomic. Is there a reason they are so user-unfriendly? What is the purpose of the 2 small holes on the "butterfly-shaped" camlatch (for lack of better terminology). The latches are so small and require a lot of force with fingertips to close completely. I've worked with my hands all my life and think my fingers are stronger than average, how does a smaller/weaker person open/close these? I must be missing the obvious somewhere here...............
Try some lubrication on the latches.I was just thinking to get that done before our trip.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #5

Lemooreq, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbay View Post
Try some lubrication on the latches.I was just thinking to get that done before our trip.
Lubed with locksmith graphite, no help. One is harder than other to fully close. I'm going to see about replacing these with
  • Something I can put a lock on
  • Something that as Avatard said, is less likely to lacerate a leg
I'm leaning towards something like a pickup-bed toolbox uses; recessed latch that's keyed.
Old 07-08-2012   #6

Ridgway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The latch is called a hasp and they are made to fold flat when not in use so they'll be out of the way. Their other function is to apply pressure or clamp down the lid as they are tightened. They might just need to wear in a bit in order to close easier or it's possible they were not set quite right at the factory and thus are too hard to close. The recessed locks you mentioned from a truck box wont pull the lid tight and keep it waterproof. Almost every drybox manufacturer uses the same latch for a reason you should just call Frontier about your box.
ciggyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #7

Lemooreq, California
Problem solved with a little adjustment on the hinges. The attaching screws are countersunk heads, rather than pan or buttonhead as used on the hinges. The handles also have 1 buttonhead and the other 5 are countersunk and not flush.:<(
I believe I'll replace these with panheads for a cleaner look.
That said, great price ($238 +$23 S/H) and service; 3 days order to door.
Old 07-08-2012   #8

Corvallis, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Those boxes are a chinese import they pay about 25.00 for, so they come with varying quality, my friend had one that the aluminum needed repaired on and took it to get welded and it basically popped and fizzled and was a very poor grade of aluminum. He also had to put new latches on as they broke after the first trip. Wait for the hinges to pull out and the cheap tin aluminum to start cracking then you will be having a good time

For about 325.00 you can get a good ole USA made unit with all stainless hardware and never have a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvsprme View Post
Problem solved with a little adjustment on the hinges. The attaching screws are countersunk heads, rather than pan or buttonhead as used on the hinges. The handles also have 1 buttonhead and the other 5 are countersunk and not flush.:<(
I believe I'll replace these with panheads for a cleaner look.
That said, great price ($238 +$23 S/H) and service; 3 days order to door.
Catboater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #9
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I was going to say. before tweaking it, try sitting on the box to compress the seals. It is a fine line between tight and shoddy. My Pelican can be very difficult to open but a knee on top makes it much easier.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote