Dry Box - Cracked Welds? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-03-2011   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Dry Box - Cracked Welds?

I have a dry box that is a little over 2 years old. It has seen a fair amount of normal river use in that time, but has not been abused. I recently noticed some light coming through the bottom. Upon further inspection, there is a 7" crack in the weld on the bottom right and a 6" crack in the bottom left.

Is this normal and to be expected? I have never heard of this happening.

Thanks.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2011   #2

Crack repair

Hey if you can get to Ft Collins I'll weld it together for you, no charge.
May have been a weak weld to begin with, a fairly rare occurrence.
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #3

Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkyak View Post
Hey if you can get to Ft Collins I'll weld it together for you, no charge.
May have been a weak weld to begin with, a fairly rare occurrence.
My 15-year old Cascade box cracked on a bottom weld. A buddy fixed it and on further inspection we noticed some small cracked welds on the top corners. I'm a bit bummed, but it has had 15 years of hard use. If I'd had problems like this on year two, I'd be talking to the vendor!
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2011   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Jb weld- you can buy it at any automotive store even wally world for about 7 bucks, its a super strong bonding type epoxy, I have used it to weld- bond sheet metal to repair holes in quarter panels on a toyo pickup it really is as strong as a weld for the type of application you are looking to use it for and its pretty user friendly. just dont let it drip on anything or it will permanently affix - like on your concrete floor. elevate your box and place card board beneath it to capture any that drips through it (depending if the crack is large, if its just a hair crack it shouldnt flow though) i would lay a 1/8th thick bead along the inside of the crack go about a half inch over the length on each side. Mrkyak has good advise too and its free, but 7 bucks may save u the gas!
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
oh yeah , wait 24 hours to dry and file off any of it that comes through for a smooth edge.
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #6

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
Do not use JB weld on you box it won't hold and will make welding very hard. Plus the fumes are nasty. There can be lots of reasons for a cracked weld. Take it to a good welder and have him weld insede and out. If it was a cheep box you got what you paid for if not someone should stand behind it.
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #7

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I had a similar crack in my dry box after about 5 years of use. I don't know if the weld was weak or if I knocked around the box on my driveway or put-in gravel more than I should have.

I called around town and found a shop that was confident about their ability to repair an aluminum weld. They did it for about $20 and its been fine for another 5 years now.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #8
Sponsoring Vendors

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I totally agree with John the Welder. JB weld may or may not work and will make welding it later much harder. For $20 or free I would have it welded and fixed right.

I have only seen one other box that cracked on the welds. It was an outfitter’s and had been drug around in the rocks and gravel when fully loaded. This should not happen with normal river use. My first box is 32 years old and has no cracks or leaks, and has been in couple of flips and pins. No problem

For the money you spent on this dry box your vendor should take care of it. If it came from us we will fix it NO CHARGE. If you are in Salida and want us to weld it, we will for a minimal fee.
Old 08-08-2011   #9

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Just wanted to publicly thank Mike (mrkyak) for fixing my box! Very nice to meet you and a beautiful job. And, a huge relief as I'm leaving for a trip this week. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!

I am in contact with the vendor (NOT Riverboat Works). Upon closer inspeciton, it appears that the welds on the long sections were reworked before I bought it (sold as new). Two years later, the short sides failed.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote