Drop Stitch Floor Repair - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-21-2012   #1

Hood River, Oregon
Drop Stitch Floor Repair

The drop stitch floor in my old Maravia developed a bubble. I'm guessing the stitching separated??

Anybody ever fix this? I'm not afraid to cut her open and start gluing. I keep this boat inflated so even if I have to glue a chunk of foam in there, not worried about it. Really its not even an issue as is but I'm afraid of it spreading.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bubble1.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	4699

Click image for larger version

Name:	bubble2.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	4700

Thanks for any help!

Yard Sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
This happened to my old maravia floor, I was wanting to fix it and didnt want it to spread but no such luck, your floor is done. The material is more than likely delaminating inside your floor, sent mine back to maravia and they cut it open to find that this was the case, sorry for the bad news. I think they will build you a new one for around $1000 depending on the size of your boat.
ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012   #3

Same experience as above but maravia had an old used floor that fit, $500 laced. Worth asking.
mcfarlandandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012   #4

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I blew a floor like that on my previuos raft and was able to get it repaired at Inflatible Technologies in Denver.

For the repair they used a new I-beam floor bladder from AIRE that was close to the same size. They cut a slit the full length of my old floor, installed a zipper and converted it to a skin over bladder floor like the AIRE self bailers.

It was a few years ago, but I think the whole repair was under $500, including some patches for other small leaks and upgrading to a new style leafield fill valve and pressure relief valve.

I rowed the repaired boat for a few year before selling it, worked like a charm.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012   #5
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kengore View Post
I blew a floor like that on my previuos raft and was able to get it repaired at Inflatible Technologies in Denver.

For the repair they used a new I-beam floor bladder from AIRE that was close to the same size. They cut a slit the full length of my old floor, installed a zipper and converted it to a skin over bladder floor like the AIRE self bailers.

It was a few years ago, but I think the whole repair was under $500, including some patches for other small leaks and upgrading to a new style leafield fill valve and pressure relief valve.

I rowed the repaired boat for a few year before selling it, worked like a charm.
freaking genius!
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012   #6

Hood River, Oregon
Bummer. I got this boat for 1200 so I'm really hoping to avoid a costly repair.

What if I just glued the two sides together for that bit? Sounds stupid I know but its right under the rowing seat and I'm pretty mellow in this boat, just drifting from fishing spot to spot.

Like the second floor inside a floor idea.
Old 05-21-2012   #7

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
As I understand from the guys that did my repair, once the internal seams start to go it places too much stress on the ones that didn't tear. Eventually the whole floor will puff up like a giant marshmellow, mine sure did. Most of the cost in my repair was in the labor for installing the zipper.

You might be able to do such a repair your self. Contact AIRE and find a floor bladder that is close to the size of your floor (slightly bigger is OK since the bladder will only expand as large as the skin allows.) Then instead of the fancy zipper just cut a long slit for access and place grommets on each side of the cut. You could then lace the cut closed with some 1/2" webbing like a giant suture.

Wouldn't look as slick as a zipper but should be plenty strong.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012   #8

Billings, Montana
Call Maravia and talk to their repairs department techs. There usually pretty good about helping out. What year is your boat?
jwithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #9

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by kengore View Post
As I understand from the guys that did my repair, once the internal seams start to go it places too much stress on the ones that didn't tear. Eventually the whole floor will puff up like a giant marshmellow, mine sure did. Most of the cost in my repair was in the labor for installing the zipper.

You might be able to do such a repair your self. Contact AIRE and find a floor bladder that is close to the size of your floor (slightly bigger is OK since the bladder will only expand as large as the skin allows.) Then instead of the fancy zipper just cut a long slit for access and place grommets on each side of the cut. You could then lace the cut closed with some 1/2" webbing like a giant suture.

Wouldn't look as slick as a zipper but should be plenty strong.
Or you could cut a slit and install the bladder as above, then get a long piece of PVC and just glue/patch it shut.
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #10

Hood River, Oregon
I did talk with Maravia. They suggested buying a new floor. I wasn't sure if that was just standard company sales or if it really is that hard to fix.

I like the idea of throwing another floor in there and just patching it back up. Might see how long I can make it last as is, I don't really run with the floor hard as I'm just cruising from spot to spot and nothing over class III-IV.

Thanks for all the help. This place rocks!