Drop floor or bag? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-25-2010   #1

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Drop floor or bag?

So, I built a wood floor for the stern where the groover ammo boxes live as well as most dry bags that will go over the boxes. I'm sitting on the cooler and the bay in front of me occupies the fire pan with a row of ammo cans and 3 gal. water jugs on both sides. My question is, should I buy a drop bag for the front bay or a drop floor for the bow. I like the Idea of having the bow floor open for passengers feet, but I would also like to utilize that space. Could I get the floor and pack low things low in the bow and then shove stuff under the front bay which is covered by a sitting board. I've never been on a multi-day trip with another boat and have never really been able to check out other rigs. Any help, thoughts, or suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010   #2

nomad, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
drop bags

I have 2 drop bags on my frame. The one under my flip seat holds the cooler and a ammo can and the one in the front bay under the wooden deck holds other heavy items that might have sharp edges. I'm a believer in keeping heavy items off the floor of the raft, trying to suspend them from the frame to prevent pinching. There has been debate on this before in this forum, some feel its not a problem. I really enjoy the drop bags as they are fully adjustable, the only problem I find with them is that I end up putting random 'clutter' in the one in front of me. very convienent
jhalseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If you are running higher volume or easier rivers where you are unlikely to drag over rocks or risk broaching or wrapping, then a plywood floor is great. If you might be dragging over rocks or getting wrapped around something, then the less hard objects in contact with your rubber the better.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010   #4
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I like to suspend everything 2-3 inches off the floor, including the stern floor, coolers and dry boxes. Drop bags have multipurpose. I have mine with a plastic floor at the bottom, where I put all my ammo cans with a river table on top. Some of my friends use the dropped bag for storing camping chairs, propane tanks, etc.

This is my front bay is filled with ammo cans (groover) with a sitting board on top for a day trip. You can see how flush it is:

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #5

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
,,,I have mine with a plastic floor at the bottom, where I put all my ammo cans with a river table on top...
Where did you get the plastic floor material from? I can't tell from your photo, does your frame have a crossbar under that part of the frame?
weremichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #6
The Russian

SLC, Utah
No cross bar, the floor relies on the straps of the dropped bag for support. It basically distributes the weight in the dropped bag. The drop bag is about 2 inches off the raft floor.

This is where I bought mine: PolyMax Poultry/Kennel Flooring - FarmTek
Old 03-26-2010   #7

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Thanks Kazak. I am picking up my frame that's being built by AAA Inflatables tomorrow (same day as their gear swap and sale) and the drawing that Mark made up has crossbars that go under that section of the frame. I was thinking of adding just one of those plastic panels where I am putting the groover. I really like the idea of that thing sitting as upright as possible. Even though when the wife and I flip the raft, it really won't matter anyway.
Old 03-26-2010   #8
The Russian

SLC, Utah
My frame is also made by AAA, I bought it second hand, but the guy before me only used it 2-3 times. So it's practically brand new. I also made some dry boxes by AAA, they do good work.

An interesting concept of putting the cross bar under the drop bag. How does that benefit you? Seems to me it would cut your clearance between the raft floor and the bottom of the drop bag. Could you post the pics when you get it? I am interested in seeing it.

I made the floor specifically for that reason (groover). I wanted to keep my ammo cans as upright as possible. The way I have it setup now, I can fit 2 20mm, 2 30mm and a 6 gallon water can side by side. What I like about that plastic floor is it's light, self draining, no upkeep and easy to cut to shape.

Alex
Old 03-28-2010   #9

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
An interesting concept of putting the cross bar under the drop bag. ...Alex
It might be interesting, but it didn't work out like that. I miss read the sketch. I picked up the frame and a bunch of other stuff to outfit our new Big Water 13' raft. The frame is much like yours except it's a single rail. It does have an issue with the seat mount/tractor seat/speed rail connection. I am sure Mark will take care of us quickly.

We picked up two drop bags. One for the cooler and rocket box. The other is zippered. We are going the cheap route with a bunch of dry bags that we already have stashed in the zippered drop bag.
Old 03-29-2010   #10
The Russian

SLC, Utah
I personally don't like drop bag/straps for a cooler, if you are going to suspend it, get yourself the brackets or slings:

NRS Frame Cooler Mount
NRS Adjustable Cooler Mounts

The problem I ran into with straps/drop bag and cooler in it, if it's not secured when you step on it, the cooler will rotate and make you fall.

Sorry about your frame, it's all part of the gameplan though. A raft is never done and always work in progress

Tags
bag