Drift Sock - River Use - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-25-2010   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Drift Sock - River Use

I own an NRS 14' Otter, with fishing frame. After spending many days on the Colorado and North Platte with high up-river wind, I have been looking at options to improve my down stream drift, without wearing out the gun show.

I am looking into using a drift sock, such as people use on stillwater and ocean to control drift. Has anyone attempted using a drift sock in a river to keep your raft flowing down river in high wind? Is this a successful method? What size drift sock would you recommend?

In particular, I am looking into this as an option for a N. Platte float below Grey Reef. I have witnessed plenty of wind in this and all areas of Wyoming. Although, I have never floated this section, I have heard some horror stories of rafts practically blowing back to the put-in.

Thank you,

Kristian

ltkristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have used one on several sections of water. It does work. I used it under its own power and rowing with it. In strong winds (heading back to the put in wind) rowing with it, the sock still pulls. If rowing under a "medium" wind the boat's momentum loosens some of the tension on the sock. If it's a "medium" wind and you are not in a hurry, let the sock bring you down. Watch out for the sock catching an eddy.
It's all basic trial and error. When it's working, leave it in the water...when it's not, haul it in.
Overall, I give it a B+
MustacheTheGauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #3

Denver, Colorado
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it a try. Any thoughts on sizing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010   #4

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
I have a big cat that is a real wind pig. I've tried several variations of a drift sock with some sucess. On the grand, I used a rope with two 5 gallon buckets. That worked pretty well because the water is pretty usually deep. The only time I've used an actual fabric sock was on Westwater. Didn't seem to work well on that occasion. My best advise is that they can work on deep water. Shallow water they are more trouble than they are worth. In any case you will be futzing with them a lot, but hey, it's better than rowing
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #5

B.F.E., Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltkristian View Post
In particular, I am looking into this as an option for a N. Platte float below Grey Reef. I have witnessed plenty of wind in this and all areas of Wyoming. Although, I have never floated this section, I have heard some horror stories of rafts practically blowing back to the put-in.
Having rowed this stretch in a drift boat wayyy too many times to count(I work for a fly shop in Casper) I can tell you your problem is the raft. If you are coming up here just rent a drift boat for a day. It costs $$$ but it saves a huge amount of frustration. I don't know if a drift sock is going to help you much, and I think it would be really hard to hold a good fishing drift with it. A lot of times you need to be moving left or right of where the water is flowing.

Just my .02
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #6

Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the input. My buddy and I pondered the drift boat purchase, but it would keep us off too many of our Colorado rivers. We have 14' NRS now. Basically need both.

Any suggestion of shops to rent a drifty? How much would it run per day? We were thinking of floating below the dam and camping a couple of nights on the BLM, north side of the river. Will boats be booked for next weekend?
Old 06-25-2010   #7

B.F.E., Wyoming
North Platte lodge does boat rentals. I think right around a 100$ a day is typical. Camping on the blm after Gov't bridge is about the only place to camp, but don't plan on it being scenic.
If you guys are willing to carry your raft around a bit to put in and take out you could float the miracle mile in your raft. It would be a good fishing/whitewater run right now. There is some camping over there(most of it is under water now...) but the fishing is good and golden stones are coming off now. Give us a ring at the shop and we can give you some better infomation.

Luke
307 234 6905 Ugly Bug Fly Shop
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drift sock