Downriver and/or Boatercross - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-12-2008   #1

Westminster, Colorado
Downriver and/or Boatercross

I'm looking to get a budget (used) kayak to try some of these events at the novice/recreation level. I can handle distance but not anything more technical than class IV right now so probably won't be in any creek races at first. Any help with these questions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Would one type of kayak work for both events? (Budget only allows one used boat this season.)

Boat with planing or displacement hull?

Creek or river runner hull design?

Ideal range for length? What's too long?

Gallons? More for volume or less for sleekness? Ideal range?

Weight? More for stability or less for manuvering?

I see these used boats available. The Prijon Tornado was recommended but I wonder if its too big for multiple event use.

Dagger Crossfire
Dagger GT
Dagger Infared
Dagger RPM
Perception ARC
Perception Dancer
Perception Pirouette S
Perception Whip-It
Prijon Hurricane
Prijon Tornado
WaveSport Frankenstein

Thanks much
Alex

Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
those are older boats for sure. i learned to roll in 98 in a crossfire.

i would suggest a newer boat. maybe a used mamba or wavesport diesel. you should like both boats and you should be able to find one around for a decent price......

if you want one for more play than i would get one of the fuses or downriver liquidlogics.

there is a mamba listed for $500 in the classifieds section that could be a good boat depending on your height and weight.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #3

displacement hull is faster.
msunev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008   #4

Westminster, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by msunev View Post
displacement hull is faster.
That's what I had heard, which is one of the reasons I'm looking at the old boats. Though, I haven't confirmed which ones are and which ones aren't yet.
Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
That's what I had heard, which is one of the reasons I'm looking at the old boats. Though, I haven't confirmed which ones are and which ones aren't yet.

if you want a good displacement hull boat go with a jefe.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #6

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
those are older boats for sure. i learned to roll in 98 in a crossfire.

i would suggest a newer boat. maybe a used mamba or wavesport diesel. you should like both boats and you should be able to find one around for a decent price......

if you want one for more play than i would get one of the fuses or downriver liquidlogics.

there is a mamba listed for $500 in the classifieds section that could be a good boat depending on your height and weight.

For class 3/4 downriver/boatercross stuff he needs a boat that is a lot faster than a 7.6 boat from this generation.

Anywho, some of the boats that you have there are really fast. The Dancer and Pirouette are going to be the fastest with the Whip-it coming in last (minus the tornado). The Pirouette is a good boat for this type of water. It's over 10', I think, and as I remember it was like a slalom boat for speed. Also, the Hurricane used to be really quick. But, I haven't paddled one in 10 years so I can't remember it's overall shape etc.

I have one sitting outside my house if you want to try one for an afternoon (FoCo).
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #7

the hurricane is pretty fast. I am not sure what boatercross is (creekin?) but a aside from a downriver or slalom boat, the savage scorpion - pretty much the same design as the hurricane but lighter - is fast as hell...if you can find one. if you find 2, hit me up, I miss that boat.
msunev is offline   Reply With Quote