Do oilcanning/dents really matter? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-20-2016   #1

Plymouth, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 2012
Do oilcanning/dents really matter?

Quick question that a google search turned up no results for: Does oil canning and/or dents really matter?

I'm not quite sure that it does. I can see people asking how to remove them, and I often see people selling or inquiring about boats and mentioning a lack of oil canning... but does it really matter? Does it affect speed, how a boat surfs... any of it?

I haven't been able to notice a difference at all from new to beat down on the boats I've paddled... but what has your experience been? What do the slalom kayakers have to say?

shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2016   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I think in playboats you may see some performance degradation if your hull is out of shape on waves. For general down river boating and creeking I do not think it would affect your paddling too much. However, I have heard and could agree with when you do oil can you expose certain parts of your boat to more wear (edges of the oil can) as you bump and grind down and may wear out faster.

Per NRS definiton - Oil canning - This, surprisingly, has nothing to do with tearing the oil pan off a buddy’s car during shuttle. It describes the floor of a poorly constructed or flat-bottomed OC-1 or OC-2 when it bounces up and down in turbulent waters.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016   #3

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Cracks matter, oil canning does not.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2016   #4

Plymouth, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 2012
I never thought so... but I see enough people griping about it I figured some one may know somethign I don't!

Interesting on the playboat note. I haven't had any issue with my rockstar (which is even welded) but... what would I know, I'm no pro!
shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Main problem with oilcanning is it tends to create a hotspot as the hull wears that leads to premature death. Since it's usually as easy as sticking a piece of foam under the seat, it's generally worth fixing.

From the point of view of purchasing a used boat, it can also be an indication of the health of the plastic.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote