Do I need a roof rack? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-15-2010   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Do I need a roof rack?

I'm a WW kayak virgin, hoping to get started soon, and I have an all-terrain Toyota Corolla that I want to use to get from the concrete jungle to the beautiful rivers of Colorado. Is this a ridiculous idea? Do I need to buy a massive truck?
And if I can use my econobox, can I just strap my boat to the roof, or do I need a roof rack? Any recommendations on brands?
The whole transpo side of this sport seems complicated...
Thanks!

mateojames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010   #2

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Got a used yakima rack on my camry. Bought each part individually so was pretty cheap. Treats me real nice.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010   #3

yes, you need a rack...... no you don't need a massive truck.

You can strap a kayak to your roof...... but it is a bit unsafe....picture the boat falling off on I-70 and going thru some moms windshield. And you can not strap more than one..... you may think 'i only need one kayak' but think about how you will get the shuttle done with your car. The shuttle is the whole getting from the end of the river to the beginning back to he end part.

Also...... do not buy a rack with the shortest bars as possible..... A slightly wider rack than recomended is better for kayaking. It will make it easier to load the 4-6 boats of your new friends.

Also it will be helpful to carry the skis and bikes you will buy now that you discover the world west of I-25

go to REI...... grab a Starbucks and a new rack
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I thought you had to show "proof of roof rack" to register a vehicle in Colorado. Guess not.

Yes, you need a rack. New recreation options will open up to you and your life will become complete.
Old 10-16-2010   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Slap a roof rack on that bad boy and you're good to go. Thule has a system you can mount if there are no rain gutters on your Corolla. You bolt a track into the roof...that's what I had to do with my Subaru Impreza, but now it can carry 3 bikes, 3 boats, and 3 sets of ski gear...all at once! (using a hatchback rack too)
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010   #6

Denver, Colorado
Roof Rack as entry into secret society of funhogs

Thanks for the tips! I didn't quite understand the significance of the roof rack. I thought it was utilitarian, but now I realize it is a ticket to unknown, almost spiritual, pleasures. Mine would carry a creeker, a playboat, 2 surfboards, a mtn. bike, a set of XC skis, and a snowboard. I feel materialistic.
I might need to beef up the suspension on the 'Rolla.

Now if they could just invent a car that could drive itself to the take out.
Old 10-16-2010   #7
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You should talk to the Toyota dealer and find out if there's a rack designed specifically for your car. I found the Volkswagen brand rack for my Jetta on eBay for $130 and it's beefier than a Yak or Thule. It also attaches with an included torque wrench to bolts in the rain gutter. Basically, I got the factory rack and it's much higher quality than the after market racks.

I have had a Thule rack with snowboards come off the roof on I-76 in Denver during morning rush hour. We're lucky no one died. Find the most secure method of attachment and make sure it's done right.

If you do buy a stacker attachment, I had a Yakima Big Stack break in the first summer I had it. They attach to your rack with plastic parts, something I would avoid if I were you.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateojames View Post
Thanks for the tips! I didn't quite understand the significance of the roof rack. I thought it was utilitarian, but now I realize it is a ticket to unknown, almost spiritual, pleasures. Mine would carry a creeker, a playboat, 2 surfboards, a mtn. bike, a set of XC skis, and a snowboard. I feel materialistic.
Yes, Grasshopper, this is known as the Paradox of the Roof Rack: one must have it to attain spiritual enlightenment, yet... one must also fill the rack with material goods.

Quote:
Now if they could just invent a car that could drive itself to the take out.
When you attain roof rack enlightenment this shuttle wonder will be revealed to you. Patience, Grasshopper, patience.
Old 10-16-2010   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
I have a pair of 48" Yakima crossbars if you need 'em.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010   #10

Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the offer. I better find the towers first, but then I will get back with you!