DIY flip up rowing seat? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-27-2011   #1

norcal, California
DIY flip up rowing seat?

Anyone made a flip up seat? This one from AAA looks nice but $$$.

I don't need a back; I'm happy sitting on a cooler but sometimes I want to leave the cooler at home, so a seat that can go above a cooler would be nice.

One though I had was to put a couple of PVC reducing tees over the frame crossbar to act as the hinge. Then bend a couple of pieces of PVC to form the two main members shown in that AAA seat, and put a piece of plywood + padding across them. Maybe throw in another length of PVC connecting the two 'legs' in place of that thin crossbar shown on the AAA seat. Thoughts?

Thanks!

barcolounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011   #2

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I would skip the PVC (not strong enough) and just go with padded plywood across the span of the crossbars. But then I am biased in that I never have liked the captain seats. They sit way to high for my rowing style, I like to be as low as possible.

If you do go that route you can get pre-bent electrical conduit, (1 1/4") and use then use standard fence line post pipe as a splice (they fit really tight). that would be much stronger than PVC and not that much more expensive.
muttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #3
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I made a flip-up bracket for a tractor seat that works great. I had a DRE captain seat on one of my earlier frames, and loved it, but not willing to pay the price now. My seat sits 4-5" above the frame, and I like the extra height- a lot! About the same rise as a DRE/AAA seat. I'll try to take a pic and post it.
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011   #4

Carbondale, Colorado
"Then bend a couple of pieces of PVC to form the two main members"

How does one go about bending PVC?
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
you could get some of Gary's flanges at rowframe.com and work something out. he made a rest for my flip seat that allowed it to be used without a huge cooler. you could take one of the brackets, and attach an AL plate that a seat can be drilled/screwed to. you would be sitting on crossbar level.

otherwise, you could get two of the flanges, and have someone bend a plate at 90 degrees, to end up with a over the cooler type flip seat as below. Alreco in Denver said they would bend a plate for about $20 and the plate would be about $15 or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0053.JPG
Views:	564
Size:	366.1 KB
ID:	3780  
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #6

Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I made my seat out of sch40 PVC tees, elbows, and pipe, pine "project" board, and a Crazy Creek chair. It has been plenty strong for me, but I only weigh 145. There's a little flex, but has not been a problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000689crop.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	3781  
Old 06-28-2011   #7

norcal, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
"Then bend a couple of pieces of PVC to form the two main members"

How does one go about bending PVC?
Like this I guess, I've never done it.
Old 06-28-2011   #8

x, x
Paddling Since: x
for the record: To bend pvc correctly you should use a hot box or blanket, heat guns WILL cause bubbles under the surace damaging the stuctural integrity that is non-existing all-ready.

you will not get a tight enough bend on pvc with a hot box or blanket, that is why they cast the fittings.

there are 5 types of residential plastic avalible. the green wall pipe is the thickest strongest option you can get it at HD or a garden supply center it is also the most uv resistant your best choice in my opinion.

truthfully, unless it is low profile with good cross bracing and you are under 200lbs it will break eventually especially if you are rowing rapids.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #9

norcal, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthNRG View Post
I made my seat out of sch40 PVC tees, elbows, and pipe, pine "project" board, and a Crazy Creek chair. It has been plenty strong for me, but I only weigh 145. There's a little flex, but has not been a problem.
Now that is the kind of ghetto design I'm talkin' about! Perhaps a couple of short cam straps to anchor the back legs to the crossbar might add some rigidity without making it too hard to flip up? (I've got 20 lbs on you).
Old 06-28-2011   #10

loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoapiglet View Post
you could get some of Gary's flanges at rowframe.com and work something out. he made a rest for my flip seat that allowed it to be used without a huge cooler. you could take one of the brackets, and attach an AL plate that a seat can be drilled/screwed to. you would be sitting on crossbar level.

otherwise, you could get two of the flanges, and have someone bend a plate at 90 degrees, to end up with a over the cooler type flip seat as below. Alreco in Denver said they would bend a plate for about $20 and the plate would be about $15 or so.
I picked up some tees and aluminum pipe from Gary and made my own. The part I like is the capped ends up front. They work to hold the oars when you want to be hands free. The seat was made at a local tent/awning shop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	raftseat.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	3785  
cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote