distribution trees - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-18-2012   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
distribution trees

I am wondering if anyone has thoughts about using a tree with a lite cylinder? I am trying to figure out how to mount it. The tree won't clamp to the cylinder because the cylinder handle is to thick. I don't want to do too much to the cylinder handle to mess with the strength of it.

tczues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Get a shorter tree so you don't have a 3' of leverage to knock it over, then just tighten it up and go. Don't expect to run 4 burners or get a good rate of flow to a blaster off of a 5lb bottle. Propane delivery is a function of the surface area that can off gas. That is why some bottles are short and fat vs. tall and skinny for the same volume.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #3

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by tczues View Post
I am wondering if anyone has thoughts about using a tree with a lite cylinder?
No problems with a small size Lite tank
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012   #4

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
Wadeinthewater, what did you use to connect it to the bottle?
tczues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #5

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Your tree should have a part that screws (reverse thread) into the propane bottle.
Old 05-18-2012   #6

Leavenworth, Washington
Paddling Since: 1994
You can add a propane splitter to get more distance for the tree to attach too. That works on our set up.

-Dan
GBWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #7
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
A better way to go

Don't use the tree it adds too much leverage to cylinder and it doesn't get the light high enough to make a difference. You can buy hoses cheap at Walmart and connect them to these fittings available on the internet. I use only brass for mine because it won't rust. This manifold has a quick disconnect that I use on my Woodland Power Stove and three THROW AWAY FITTINGS. You will need pipe dope, 1/4 inch cross, tee and close nipples. Any questions send me a private message and I'd be glad to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	manifold.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	977.9 KB
ID:	4693  
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Dough boy, nice build. Where did you find the fittings cheap? I've only seen pre-made hoses for grills far more than I though was reasonable.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #9
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Dave Frank make some good points. You can only get so many BTUs from a given tank size at a given temp. A 20 pound bottle will run more appliances at one time than a 10 pounder. I have never had a problem running my power stove and a small two buyer stove plus a single mantle lamp at the same time on a summer trip with a 10 pounder. If you are on a cold winter trip and you are running more that a few high output devices you will want to run them of of different bottles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	manifold on tank.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	969.4 KB
ID:	4695  
Old 05-18-2012   #10
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Should be easier for you in the city. Start in the yellow pages. The THROW AWAY CYLINDER fittings are MR HEATER. The ACME fitting that attaches to the bottle is a green one which allows for high gas volume. The black ones are will shut down to at higher flows for safety. nipples and tees are common fare in almost any plumbing supply. Think I should market these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
Dough boy, nice build. Where did you find the fittings cheap? I've only seen pre-made hoses for grills far more than I though was reasonable.