Diesel 75 or Super Hero for New Kayaker? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-23-2015   #1

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Diesel 75 or Super Hero for New Kayaker?

I kayak occasionally, but I'm no expert on plastic boats....

My buddy is looking to paddle a plastic boat (Whitewater) and has a line on three boats at a decent price. Two Diesel 75s and a Super Hero. The super hero looks like it is the second incarnation design from the one pic I've seen. All three appear to be in comparable shape and only include the plastic.

Which do you buzzards think is best for a 220 lb newb with a fair amount of Raft/Ducky experience.

I'm also 220, and paddle an older Pyranha H:3 255 and think it fits me fine.

Also, is a Hero (not a super hero) completely out of the question for a 220lb paddler? I've never paddled a kayak that was rated for less than 230+ before. I found a pretty good deal for one, but its a moot point if its just too small.

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2015   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
The super hero has a better volume for 220lb boater. Though if the 75 fits and feels better and is in better shape and is priced better, it'll work for a beginner. Anything "creeky" over class III will be a challenge in the Diesel, however.
Old 04-23-2015   #3

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo View Post
Anything "creeky" over class III will be a challenge in the Diesel, however.
What makes you say this?
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2015   #4

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
The SuperHero is a good all around kayak, very forgiving, hard to do anything wrong with it as long as you avoid big holes. Depending on your height it may feel huge at 220lbs. While the SuperHero is a great as an all around river runner, it doesn't really excel at anything - it's just a floating spud/log. If you want something more fun take a look at a Jackson 4Fun or SuperFun.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015   #5

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatmanZ View Post
The SuperHero is a good all around kayak, very forgiving, hard to do anything wrong with it as long as you avoid big holes. Depending on your height it may feel huge at 220lbs. While the SuperHero is a great as an all around river runner, it doesn't really excel at anything - it's just a floating spud/log. If you want something more fun take a look at a Jackson 4Fun or SuperFun.
Thanks for the thoughts. There are none available in our area right now in his price range.

He is about 5'9 or so. Is he going to feel like he's lost in the Super Hero?
Old 04-23-2015   #6

Grand Junction, Colorado
diesel gets my vote should be fine
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015   #7

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Super Hero, without question..

Way better size for the big guys, AND it's one of the most forgiving boats ever. Very easy to roll compared to other boats and super stable.
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by laterwagged View Post
What makes you say this?
My opinion stems from the design (it's really a river runner first, creeker second) and the weight range. The lack of rocker, low volume bow, and planning hull makes working in class IV and up more challenging. Being on the top end of the weight range will exacerbate that as you get into creek like conditions.

I own and love my 75. I've paddled it down some rather manky Colorado creeks and at 190lbs it's a challenge. I can even hand roll it (in the pool, 1 out of 4 tries Again, it's not that you or your friend shouldn't get one. It's that depending on where you want your paddling to go, the 75 might not be the best boat to take you there in the long run.
Old 04-23-2015   #9
GoBro

BZN, Montana
The diesel is a cooler design but the super hero is a much better fit for size. I'd go super hero.
Old 04-23-2015   #10

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
I really like the super hero on tight small CO creeks. Hull speed is less of an issue in this situation than being able to quickly maneuver.

Also I love how the bow really wants to ride over waves and holes. It's an easy boat to learn to boof in.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote