Day Coolers / Soft Coolers - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-05-2011   #1

out west, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Day Coolers / Soft Coolers

What's everyone's favorite? What holds up the best?

My old Seattle Sports Frost Pack is no longer.... and wasn't the best at ice retention.

Looking for something new.

On overnighters, this would be used for holding the day's lunches and drinks. (typical for most, if not, all of us I would assume)

brasscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011   #2

boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2006
I used a soft cooler for a couple years then changed to a hard sided cooler in my rowers bay.

Coleman - 28 Quart Cooler - Blue -

I had stitches and stuff sew a mini drop bag for it and it goes opposite my captains bag. I got away from the soft cooler as everything gets crushed in it and really like this set up.
fireman9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #3

Golden, Colorado
i used the nrs soft cooler for a time when i first got into rafting. nice design with solid strap down points but it didn't take long for it to leak though. not a problem on the river but would soak a car seat after abit. held ice for a couple days though.

my "solution" was just switching to all hard shell coolers after that and wondered why i didn't go that way in the first place. a small, basic white igloo or whatever and be done with it is my advice.

edit: it does look like NRS changed the liner material to urethane so might hold up better now. i really doubt i was the only one with a leaking problem with the older design.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...0&pdeptid=1601
bkp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011   #4

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
My passangers sit on the main cooler in my boat, so I run the medium sized NRS soft cooler (newest one) strapped next to me and it's awesome! I put 2 of those small re-freezable containers in the bottom and cover a 12 pack with ice. I haven’t tried in the summer yet, but worked great earlier this fall. Super convenient and packs down small for transporting to and from the river. You can go wrong with a new one, but I can’t speak for the old clear liners.
clinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #5

Santa Fe, New Mexico
I also recommend the NRS soft coolers. We use one as a captain's bag/cooler. But also use it just as much off the river. Good lash down points. The zipper on our first one blew out, so we sent it back to NRS and they replaced it. Good service.

NRS Dura Soft Coolers - with Infinity Liner at NRSweb.com
king kong kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #6

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman9500
I used a soft cooler for a couple years then changed to a hard sided cooler in my rowers bay.

Coleman - 28 Quart Cooler - Blue -

I had stitches and stuff sew a mini drop bag for it and it goes opposite my captains bag. I got away from the soft cooler as everything gets crushed in it and really like this set up.
After seeing his set-up 1st hand on the last mfs trip I will be doing the exact same thing. Works pretty well in my opinion.
Old 12-06-2011   #7
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I picked up this 19 qt. Engel Drybox/Cooler before a Deso trip this year and ended up keeping it on Supercat all summer. It easily holds 6 beers, a Nalgene, and lunch. Not sure how "dry" it is but it works pretty well to keep things cold on account of the tight latches. I removed the shoulder strap and ran a cam strap through the loops to the floor. I plan to rivet some metal rings to replace the plastic loops. Another strap comes over the top and goes around the frame. I only need to loosen the strap over the top to undo the latches. So far, it is holding up great and worth the price.
Engel 19 Qt. Cooler/Dry Box

I call it the "kidney cooler" as it looks like it was designed for organ transplant.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #8

mass, confusion
Paddling Since: 2009
I just ordered one of these. Not sure where I'm going to fit it yet. Hoping in the rower's cockpit.

21 Quart Rock Box Tough Lunch Box Coolers [CCLB19-GRA] - $49.00 : Premium Coolers, Canyon Coolers
Aengus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #9

LAX to SEA, 90032
Paddling Since: 2009
Picked up an Aire small soft cooler on a good sale recently. Haven't used it yet but seems solid. Zippers work good. Has a handy can grabber zip in the lid. Good tie points.. Can't wait to field test it.
scotttoland is offline   Reply With Quote