Dagger RPM or Redline for beginner? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-07-2010   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Dagger RPM or Redline for beginner?

Based on what I've read and what's available used, I've narrowed down to two older boats. Which will be more conducive to a newbie? I intend to run mostly IIs and IIIs with this boat, once I get my roll down, am not super stoked about freestyle but would like to try eventually, and I will probably only be in it for a few seasons 'til I know which style I am more into.

I understand these are both good all around boats, good for beginners by many online reviews.

I am 5 foot 8 inches tall, and weigh 150 lbs. Will be on the Poudre quite a bit this summer.

The Redline has a planing hull, while the RPM does not. I wish I could get the difference explained by a boater not a website. Skip the "google it" answer please. I did. I just don't get it.

Thanks, Eric

Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010   #2

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Others will disagree with me but as a beginner I found a planing hull much easier to learn in, planing hull means the boat has edges and usually a flat bottom. Displacement hulls like the RPM tend to not have edges and are rounded on the bottom making them a little less stable so you feel "tippy" in them.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
I started in an rpm and it wasnt a bad design but extremely uncomfortable since your legs are cramped into the front almost straight. I hated the position and therefor hated the boat. Even playboats today have a knee buldge that allows you to bend your knees for leverage and comfort. I would rather run anything in a modern playboat than an rpm. And the easy to roll comment works both ways. Its easy to flip as well and has a stern that was designed to squirt. Keep googling and find a better boat.
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010   #4

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Those were good boats in their day. However, why bother with using them now when newer used boats are so much better?

At least go with a Wave Sport Y or Diesel 65. For even newer consider the JK Hero or their brand new Villian S (might be the best and last boat you ever want to buy).

Anyway, there are lots of newer used boats for available for just 2 or 3 hundy. You would likely learn and enjoy things much faster and better.

Cheers!
Old 05-07-2010   #5

Indian Hills, Colorado
Go with the RPM. The RPM will always have a place in your quiver as a river runner. The Redline will always suck. (I learned in a Redline). If you want a planing hull boat, get something more modern than a Redline.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
DanOrion, is the knee position/ comfort issue as bad as GH says? I'm a short guy, so length isn't an issue, but if it's as uncomfortable as he says, I may hate being in it. Thoughts?
Old 05-07-2010   #7

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
The RPM was a cutting edge playboat in its day, and it has a rather slicey tail. You can get these boats for cheap, or sometimes free from a friend, but there are more comfortable and stable designs out there. I am much bigger than you, but I loved my Wavesport Z and Pyranah Sub-8 and I think similar older flat bottomed play boats might be better. I was a solid class V boater in those though. For a bit more money you could get any 5-8 year old river runner and be better off. I paid $200 for my first boat and bought another after about ten uses since it was so outdated.

I store a buddies RPM in my garage since he thinks he might use it as a river runner. I do not think he has used it since 2000 when we went down the Grand Canyon. Most people do not go back to their really old gear. The Rpm is a good boat for flat waves though.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #8

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
We've flashed back to 1992. If you are getting an incredible deal on these boats, either will get you through your first season. If not, look for a more modern boat like an EZ or even a necky jive. The boats in question here are several generations old, and there are better alternatives out there on the used market.

Good luck and have fun. You have started down a path to an addiction that will haunt you forever. You will soon understand why driving a Ferrari is more fun than a school bus. School buses are for carrying you beer while you drive the Ferrari
Old 05-07-2010   #9

Indian Hills, Colorado
Older boats had lower knee positions than modern boats. Both the RPM and the Redline have low knee positions compared to modern boats. Unless you have rickets like GH, you'll be plenty comfortable in and old boat, but it will hold you back. Most new paddlers find modern boats more comfortable and easier to paddle, but the RPM is a tested design.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #10
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
Older boats had lower knee positions than modern boats. Both the RPM and the Redline have low knee positions compared to modern boats. Unless you have rickets like GH, you'll be plenty comfortable in and old boat, but it will hold you back. Most new paddlers find modern boats more comfortable and easier to paddle, but the RPM is a tested design.
Rickets, Maybe thats it. I dont have skinny thighs, that might be part of it. The fit was very tight on my legs.