Dagger Response - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-20-2007   #1

Dagger Response

I am needing input from some of the veterans that were paddling back when the Response came out. I am curious about this boat to be used for downriver racing in class II water. I have been told to be weary of the plastic on these boats. How big of a concern is this/ how much is a good condition one worth and what if any would be a better choice for about the same price? Also does anyone have contact info for someone who would know a lot about these style boats?

padlnrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2007   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I guess the answer would be relative- how much $$ are you talking about? The obvious concern would be UV degradation of the plastic, depending on how much time it spent outside. If it was stored outside, I would think that the plastic has grown quite brittle in the last 18 or so years. Regardless, I doubt that the boat is worth more than $150, even in great condition. The exception would be in the weeks before the Gore race- you could probably sell one for $200 in the parking lot there. Most are probably worth about $75 to $100. You might have some difficulty finding a non-keyhole skirt, too.

The crazy part is, old boats seem to have a way of being bought for more money than they're worth on eBay; typically by a guy in Kansas that wants one for his lake and is unaware of the value. Lots of overpriced boats out there.

If you're looking for a durable downriver design, there are probably better options for slightly more money. Prijon has made a variety of WW / rec hybrid designs that would be better options for the money. Go to www.playak.com/kayaks and look at the 'Allrounders' and maybe some of the rec boats. Also- There's evidently a dealer in Texas that has a storeroom filled him old downriver-type boats (Pirouettes & such) that are brand new. IM mike pagel and ask him the name of the shop.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007   #3

Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
I currently own a Dagger Response (its for sale also). I have no worries about the plastic on this boat unless its really been abused and/or stored outside. As a downriver racer though? Well, its going to be a lot better than a modern playboat or creeker. For class 2 water though if you are really racing it sure seems like you'd want a real downriver boat. The Dagger is old school but it was still designed for whitewater, spins and surfs nicely, and would prefer not to go in a straight line. I had thought of using it on the old San Juan Downriver race but also was aware that it would be a hell of a lot more work than an actual downriver boat.

Now for the Gore that may be a different story...

If you (or anyone else) are interested in learning more about my boat PM me.

Mike
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2007   #4

For a mass produced down river racer, I can't imagine anything being faster than the Jackson Hero.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007   #5

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
LOL, Flaco. I loved my response. Paddled it down bailey, big south ect. Even played in union at 3gs. It's not 18yrs old Josh, lmao. Maybe 11 or so. I agree though prijon has wild water boats if you looking. You can buy better boats for min dollars as to purchase older boats. On that note, who's selling a stubby?
Gary
[email protected]
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007   #6

Dagger Response

Mike, where are you located and what are you asking dor the boat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hartley View Post
I currently own a Dagger Response (its for sale also). I have no worries about the plastic on this boat unless its really been abused and/or stored outside. As a downriver racer though? Well, its going to be a lot better than a modern playboat or creeker. For class 2 water though if you are really racing it sure seems like you'd want a real downriver boat. The Dagger is old school but it was still designed for whitewater, spins and surfs nicely, and would prefer not to go in a straight line. I had thought of using it on the old San Juan Downriver race but also was aware that it would be a hell of a lot more work than an actual downriver boat.

Now for the Gore that may be a different story...

If you (or anyone else) are interested in learning more about my boat PM me.

Mike
padlnrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007   #7

Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlnrun View Post
Mike, where are you located and what are you asking dor the boat?
I'm in Colorado Springs. I'll sell it for 175.00, firm. I have another guy who wants to look at it some time after the 22nd. I'll sell it first come, first served unless you guys want to start an ebay style bidding war. I'm all for that . Let me know if you are interested.

Mike
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote