Dagger Agent center "console" came detached from hull - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-30-2010   #1

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Dagger Agent center "console" came detached from hull

hey all--

bought a dagger agent used last summer, and the center console dealio has come apart from the hull--looks like it was originally just a "spot" or "tack" welded strip couple inches long on either side, just at the knees, holding it to the hull floor--not nearly strong enough imho, given the forces transferred to the seat and subsequently to those welds... = huge stress on those tiny welds. can't see what's happened under the seat, but assume the same issue there. don't know if it was that way when i bought it, but if it was, well, caveat emptor, and I didn't caveat obviously

it's not too bad, but the seat does shift a little side-to-side now--def. noticeble surfing and rolling, which isn't good, and will pry only get worse with time

anybody else w/ an agent have any issues like this? Any permanent/semi-permanent solutions? --trying to avoid ghetto duct tape, or messy fiberglass if at all possible, but sketched about trying to weld on a near-perfect hull...any epoxies that will bond strong/solid/sturdy to kayak plastic?

Hobie? (any hope for help from dagger?)

thanks!

Jay

Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
the center console came apart from the hull? heh? isnt it already detached? mines in the same shape but probably ten times worse. i would say once you have placed pressure on the seat it shouldnt be moving around in the hull wont to much. if you are moving around during roles i would have to say you probably arent tight enough in the first place and now you got a little extra room.. tape isnt going to help.. and its pretty much same as the old d-bar set ups except that theres foam now. i say dont worry about it, throw some extra foam to snug up a bit and go boat... also check your seat bolts around the cockpit.. your seat shouldnt move much and the bottom peice is just kinda there as a track system to keep the seat stationary and supported. sounds like more foam. if you dont have enough foam you will only continue to damage what is left as supportive by rolling surfing in a loose boat. foam under the seat and along the sides inbetween the sidewall space.. good luck
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #3

Littleton, Colorado
it most definitely was attached at one time--you can see that melted black plastic still on the red hull plastic from when it was attached--i was just curious to throw it out there to see if anybody else had the same issue, but I figure I'll most likely just have live with it...

edit--i'm packed in there pretty freakin' tight, but i don't have foam under the seat or along the sides between sidewall space--i'll give that a go...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
i dont remember if mine came like that but i think it was sealed at one time... you will probably end up having to replace the webbing on the backband as well. might have to place some shims were ever theres some movement to a certain degree.. good luck, i noticed he extra feet room kinda leaves a little room for play so its important to tighten it up all around. i have the crazy peice that roatates your hips and seat to the correct angle than i place a 1nch ass pad on top of the seat. kinda compresses me all down from the hip pads.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #5

Littleton, Colorado
right on--thanks mike
Old 05-04-2010   #6

Littleton, Colorado
bump for bored office-monkey kayakers (like me )
Old 04-19-2015   #7

Columbus, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2013
Posting in case others are having this issue.

My "center console" or "seat rail" came completely loose in my agent.

I used gflex epoxy and it fixed it very well, no movement at all and has been holding for 2 years!

Sent from my iToaster
TArse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agent