Cutting Drytop Gaskets? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-26-2010   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Cutting Drytop Gaskets?

My girlfriend just got a brand new dry top and the gaskets are really small, small enough that when she wears it her hands and face go purple with lack of blood flow. When I got my new top the gaskets were not this bad so they just stretched over time.

My question is have any of you ever cut a gasket to enlarge the diameter at the opening of the latex. I would not cut a slit in them but actually put the gasket on something round (like a cup) and then use a knife to cut all the way around the gasket, making the hole bigger.

I think I have heard of people doing this but I wanted to make sure that it is possible before I ruin her $400 top. What do yall think...possible to cut them or should I just put her helmet in the gasket and stretch it out?? Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I expect you're not looking for this comment, but I'd try a different drytop.
Old 01-26-2010   #3

x, x
Paddling Since: x
stretching the gasket around a round object works best like you said. I found a coffee can and used that. The key is to not cut too much at a time, unlike a wrist gasket the neck is tapered to the top, and hopefully has ribs every 1/8 inch or so. if so you want to cut above the rib off the top 1 at a time and re-fit the top. Make sure the GF is not too comfortable in the top, if you cut too much because she thinks its still to tight, you will surely take on water in the river. I like to check it in the shower w/ cold water. cut/fit/shower, cut/fit/shower. It takes a while, its tons of fun w/ the GF. As far as the wrist gaskets, I used to round glasses from the cupboard to stretch those. put the glass in the gasket, rub dry with vasoline/303 (optional) let them sit for a day.

do not use heat, turn the dry top inside out for the wrist and razor blade on the neck, take your time. shot me a pm if you need some help, I'm in loveland, not too far.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010   #4

People cut down gaskets all the time when they are new. I have a 17.5" neck and have always had to cut them. I prefer using a large glass jar, like a handle of booze. I flip the gasket inside out to expose the ribs. I then cut above one of the ribs. Use a new exacto or razor blade. Take your time to get a good fit. It's easy to cut it again instead of installing a new gasket because you over cut.
sbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #5

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
If you have already cut disregard but a 2 litter soda bottle works great! Also try stretching it over the bottle and leave it for a while see if it stretches enough that you don't have to cut it! Like wise use 20 oz soda bottle to stretch the wrists it's worth a shot it worked for me!
RandyP
Old 01-26-2010   #6

gypsy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
stretching the gasket around a round object works best like you said. I found a coffee can and used that. The key is to not cut too much at a time, unlike a wrist gasket the neck is tapered to the top, and hopefully has ribs every 1/8 inch or so. if so you want to cut above the rib off the top 1 at a time and re-fit the top. Make sure the GF is not too comfortable in the top, if you cut too much because she thinks its still to tight, you will surely take on water in the river. I like to check it in the shower w/ cold water. cut/fit/shower, cut/fit/shower. It takes a while, its tons of fun w/ the GF. As far as the wrist gaskets, I used to round glasses from the cupboard to stretch those. put the glass in the gasket, rub dry with vasoline/303 (optional) let them sit for a day.

do not use heat, turn the dry top inside out for the wrist and razor blade on the neck, take your time. shot me a pm if you need some help, I'm in loveland, not too far.
DO NOT USE VASELINE, this is like lubing up your condom with Vaseline, bad idea. Strecth out the gaskets slowly and generously apply 303
BAER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #7
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Uh, there's a problem with vaseline and condoms?

You might get some tips from this thread as well:
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...kets-4662.html
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #8

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAER View Post
DO NOT USE VASELINE, this is like lubing up your condom with Vaseline, bad idea. Strecth out the gaskets slowly and generously apply 303
non-petroleum jelly, sorry, not vasoline. although if you barely use a drop and rub it dry it works quite well. However, if you apply too much it takes a long time to wear down. 303 will work as well, as mentioned.

KSC, all good points from years past. I am sure it is worth stretching the gasket for a few days before it gets cut, and the best advice I was given was to cut above the rings if provided but my neck is huge. so it had to be done.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Dont Do It!!! You will destroy it . But really i have blades that are really sharp if you do want to give it a go. I would like to see how it comes out. If it does break ill fix it for you .
youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #10

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Un-Petroleum | Bath & Body

Maybe this helps, since my complete lack of knowledge in latex gaskets didn't.