custom cat frame - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-20-2010   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2001
custom cat frame

Hello fellow boaters! I am building a Madcatr frame and I'm still brain storming about some quick release clamps for the oar locks. I have tried the butter fly clamps that are standard on dry boxes and they work but I would feel a little better if I could find a bit more of a lock down than they offer does anyone have any suggestions? BTW the Madcatr frame is very complex and you'll need some specialty tools to get the job done correctly and some time to devote to it as well. It has taken me a full week of 10 hour days, but it is a very lite and sturdy frame. Thank you Dave for the innovative design it's at the top of it's class.

catafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by catafish View Post
Hello fellow boaters! I am building a Madcatr frame and I'm still brain storming about some quick release clamps for the oar locks. I have tried the butter fly clamps that are standard on dry boxes and they work but I would feel a little better if I could find a bit more of a lock down than they offer does anyone have any suggestions? BTW the Madcatr frame is very complex and you'll need some specialty tools to get the job done correctly and some time to devote to it as well. It has taken me a full week of 10 hour days, but it is a very lite and sturdy frame. Thank you Dave for the innovative design it's at the top of it's class.
Call Dave and ask him what he uses. I bet he'll tell you if you're just making it for yourself. It might be custom made though, it's pretty interesting looking. I've never seen anything like it, but I'm not in the machining world. He used to use bicycle seat type things, actually the demo I had last year had those.
Old 04-20-2010   #3

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
By definition, all Madcatr frames are built by himself. So you are building a frame inspired by his work: School of Madcatr. That alone demands a pretty high level of expertise.

mttodd built a School of Madcatr frame with some of his own twists, that came out a beaut.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f15/madcatr-cat-frames-27769-6.html

If the link doesn't work, search MADCATR cat frames- there's a whole thread on the subject.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010   #4

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Would love to see some pics when you get it done! It is easy to see why they cost as much as they do. Quite a bit of labor involved. Thanks for the kind words Chip.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Todd, can you recommend any TIG welders in Missoula, or nearby? I just got a new low-back tractor seat, and WTF the bolt pattern is different. 8 1/4" instead of 7 1/2". I just happened to talk to Dave today about a spare oar tower, and asked what he'd do. He's going to send me some butterfly nut things, and he recommends countersinking the nut part with the butterfly flush. He specifically said to go TIG.

I can't believe the bolt pattern on this thing, their high/mid backs still have the old pattern, but this one doesn't. It also has a bunch of seemingly worthless holes in it, I'm not sure what they are for. I'm about 5% leery of more holes in the bottom of it, I suppose I'll just have to make sure they are quite clear of any others.

Heading to the Lochsa in the AM!

Thanks
Laura
Old 04-22-2010   #6

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Wish I knew anybody in the area to recommend. I'll be there next weekend. I could pick it up and return it the following wknd or ship it overnight when it is done. No charge as I will be welding tabs on dry boxes anyway. Not much work in it. Any machine shop in your area in the yellow pages should be able to handle it though. Just make sure that you tell them that you you need it TIG'd though. Would love to hear some beta on the trip though. Have fun! Let me know. 690-4440
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote