Current deals on oars? Anyone have the hook up? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-11-2011   #1

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Current deals on oars? Anyone have the hook up?

Bought bigger tubes, need longer oars!

Looking for 4 10' - 10.5' oars & blades.

Used is great, new is fine. Just like everybody else I don't want to spend more than I have to.

Anyone know of any sales current or coming up?

Thanks

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011   #2

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Second that... I need to pick up a new pair of 10' with blades...
muttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #3

The Down River swap/sale is in a couple weeks. Haven't gotten the email on the deals yet.

I sent them an email about oars a few days ago and haven't heard back. Cascade has been helpful though.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011   #4

Helena, Montana
MXSF/G Oar Shaft from Sawyer
The Sawyer MXS-F/G composite oars are lightweight with exceptional strength. The handle of contoured laminated fir gives the feel of natural wood while composites create the strength needed in the shaft.

The shafts are the result of over six years of evolving shop and river tests. The MX stands for Multi-aXially engineered Fiberglass and Fiberglass/Graphite composite tube. The diameter and lay-up is chosen to give the best balance of strength, weight, flex and durability.
The core is a longitudinal and hoop fiberglass tube with fiberglass braid wrap. The combination offers a strengthening torsional matrix which protects the shaft and returns your energy to the blade, where you want it. The shaft diameter is made to be dimensionally compatible with blades and grips of other brands.
Handles are fastened with set screws, so you can replace one if you damage it.
Priced here with shaft only. Bladelock system is compatible with Carlisle and Cataract blades or Sawyers ultra-light, ultra-thin Dynelite blade. A 9’ MXS-F/G oar shaft weighs 6 1/2 lbs.

$129 right now, price is great, but I don't think I've ever seen a set on the water. That concerns me....
Old 03-11-2011   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
could be a decent deal...

Clavey Solid Ash Whitewater Oar - 10 ft
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #6

I was looking at that same set MtnMedic. Rafterman gave a great review in that oar thread a couple days ago. Sounds like a little bit less stout version of the MX-G's. Kind of like the SGG vs the SGX in the Cats. And better quality than the Polecats. They sound solid. Can't decide on the blade though.....
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011   #7

Boise, Idaho
Lots of people run the mxsf. Correct in they are less stout than the mxg. If you want the toughest blades I know of, Sawyer V-pro(ash). I have heard mixed review on most blades beside Sawyer or Carlisle. I personally like Sawyer's screw system as opposed to a spring button one. For the rocky stuff, I beat up the pole cats.

I think the best oars overall are the mxg. However, cataract are tougher than nails. As I've stated before, the sgg have a weird dead flex so if I were getting cataracts longer than 9', I would probably get the sgx.

I would say for the money, the mxsf are the nicest rowing oars while the sgg are the toughest. I am partial to sawyer blades, but I like wood for the high volume(lower Salmon) and plastic for the Payette.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011   #8

Idaho, Wyoming
oar deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMedic View Post
Bought bigger tubes, need longer oars!

Looking for 4 10' - 10.5' oars & blades.

Used is great, new is fine. Just like everybody else I don't want to spend more than I have to.

Anyone know of any sales current or coming up?

Thanks

try clavey's website. they have an online special where if you sign up for their weekly email specials list, they'll email you a one time use 15% off coupon for your next order. some items are excluded but oars are not on the excluded list.
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011   #9

Pugetopolis, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterman View Post
I personally like Sawyer's screw system as opposed to a spring button one.

Aint that the truth.

DRE sale in two weeks. 20% off oars.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011   #10

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
For the last few years, I've bought Gull Oars, made in NZ, from Seattle Marine, with tip protectors. Excellent deal.

I've also bought Gull oars from Crowley Marine in Portland.

I do my own rope wraps and use rubber donuts. Favorite locks are Sawyer Cobra. Some of the shorter Gulls have small shafts, for which I use Sawyer Mini-Cobra locks (which in turn have 1/2 rather than 5/8" shanks). So I made my own oarstands. (You can also find or make bushings to drop into the holes in 5/8" stands.)

Love the Gulls: brilliant flex and feel, and they float.

I tried those foam grips, but hate 'em. So I gave 'em away. The bare wood grips are nicer.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote