Crossover? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-07-2011   #1

cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
Crossover?

So im looking at a crossover boat thats made by liquid logic (remix xp10). Supposably you can use for on the lake and has plenty of room for camping gear so i could just float down the river and just camp at any spot i see. I wanna mostly do river running but having something that works great on a lake is definately a plus, but my question is how would this affect how the boat does on white water, should i just stay with a boat designed for just one thing? If i bought a remix 69 would camping gear fit in the boat? Would it affect the stability? P.S. im 6'4'' 180lbs

Jeben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011   #2

cheyenne, Wyoming
Liquidlogic Kayaks heres a link to their site with the boat
Old 07-07-2011   #3

hutchinson, Kansas
Paddling Since: 2006
I have an xp 9. It has been on several class 3 runs I have camped out of it. Handles both well. Highly recommend the boat. I have a set of wildwasser dry/flotation bags I put into the nose for tent and I sleeping pad. The xp rolls very easy as well I learned to roll in mine. Only down side I've found is the dry hatch isn't fully dry so dry sacks are required. I hope this helps.
shonuffkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011   #4

hutchinson, Kansas
Side note you still have to know how to pack good. The liquidlogic crew run the Grand with the xp 10 self supported. That ought to speak to volumes a about the boats capabilities
Old 07-07-2011   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
I've got an XP10. So far, on Filter Plant at very high water, it handles well. It takes on the big waves, surfs decently, and is extremely stable. It also rolls very easily. This next week, I'll be giving it the big test with gear on the Yampa. This past weekend, I took out the hatch components and put down sealant on both sets of plastic that come in contact with the boat. Tested it today on the Poudre. Not a perfect solution, but there was definitely less water in the hatch. Also took out the screws and bolts that hold the elastic bands and put sealant there as well. Most of the leakage now comes from the sprayskirt area. Need to create a better seal between the skirt and cowling. Got to agree w/ Shonuff about the need for good drybags.

I'm 6' 3" and 280ish. It's a very comfortable big volume boat. I suggest making sure to get the footpegs locked in well. I've had them pop off twice while putting pressure on them when I didn't put them in quite right. Did I mention that the boat is big? I can imagine boaters of smaller stature having difficulties with their knees popping out of the knee brace area. It's happened to me while surfing.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
hkydef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #6

cheyenne, Wyoming
hmm ya makes me wonder if its to big. The leakage kinda sucks. I really like the storage though. I appricate the feedback.
Old 07-08-2011   #7

hutchinson, Kansas
Hkydef only leakage I had was the hatch. Drybags solve problem. Any leakage around cockpit I would contribute to skirt issues. I personally use randed skirts so maybe bungee skirt is the problem. Any water that enters hatch is minimal nothing to discount totally the boat. As I said I paddle a xp9 so have no experience with the 10. If you want to to run whitewater and camp out of same kayak I recommend the Remix xp 100%.
Old 07-08-2011   #8

hutchinson, Kansas
For reference on size im 5'8" and weigh 145-150 that's why I use the XP9
Old 07-08-2011   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
Don't get me wrong. I love the boat. Totally comfy and boater friendly. Just detailing my experiences so far. Working on sealing the cockpit better.
hkydef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have to admit I was a little skeptical of a crossover but it looks like a pretty cool design. I assume that the skeg can be locked into the boat to get it out of the way in whitewater.

All kayaks leak some thru the skirt if you're in water that goes over the deck, so dry bags are a necessary part of any overnight style trips.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote