creeking shoes? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-28-2006   #1

Costa Rica Paddling Since: 1987
Send a message via MSN to crcreeker
creeking shoes?

My old ACG booties are dying (it's a tragedy that they don't make them anymore) and i'm looking for a replacement...

Any advice on a well built shoe that will take some abuse on rough terrain and still fit in a boat other than the gus? my acg's logged some 50 hrs. of hiking on crappy trails before starting to fall apart.

i need something solid (my favorite runs have very long, abusive hike-ins, and there's some nasty portaging too), but reasonably low profile, 'cuz my feet are big.

anyone out there have any knowledge of the NRS ATB bootie? looks interesting, but i'm worried it may be too bulky to fit in my huck

I've also heard rumors that five ten have a good creeking shoe out, but i have been unable to find it. anyone know anything about them?

thanks a lot

ferdinand

crcreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2006   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Que te paso' mop? No confias en mi? Hable con Culopelao y vamos por alli en enero. Si quisieras, te mandaria los zapatos antes de llegarnos. Pues si no ocupas mi ayuda, bueno.
Tu amigita con el corazon roto
conmihupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
nike had a good creeking shoe, the tokatee. it is out of production.
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2006   #4

i know, thats what i've got... anyway, my tokatees are almost gone now, and i'd like to know suggestions about what to replace them with, and i don't know of anything that'll compare to them

it's a real shame, those booties were the s#!t!!! how about flooding nike with petitions to put it back in production?

conmihupa, i do trust you! its just that i still don't know what it is i'd like you to bring down for me! i'm just going thru all of my options before i commit to a pair of shoes!!!

nos vemos en cr
Old 09-29-2006   #5
gh

pnw, Colorado
We have had several threads about this and sadly I dont think anything compares. I have heard rumors that Teva is going to rerelease their avatars. I am waiting to check those out before I commit to anything else.
Old 10-02-2006   #6

sadly, I think Nike is too big a company to care about the niche markets. They also had a canyoneering shoe, the Riovero, for a year or two that was awesome, awesome, awesome and gaining popularity amongst canyoneers, but its such a small market that I don't think Nike realized or cared that they were doing well in it because its such a small market.

Does Five Ten still make the water tennie?

How about the La Sportiva Exum River? Anyone tried this one for creeking? Its a canyoning shoe based on the Exum Ridge: uber-durable, grippy and fast-draining, but very lightwight and low profile. Unfortunately I am more familiar with canyoneering than creeking so I can't really say if it would be great for creeking. I would think, however, that if it fits in your creeker, then it would be awesome because they are very comfortable shoes, very light, drain well (made for walking in water) and the frixion rubber grip is as good as it gets for wet rocks.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/LSP...ring-Shoe.html
rock_ski_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #7
&d

gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
yeah im leaning towards low top approach shoes myself, the same ones i always wear, with some really good neoprene/polyester socks if i can find some .. i figure if your going to sacrifice your ability to get good kick in the water you might as well wear as good of a pair of soles as you can.
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006   #8

thanks rs cowboy, though i don't think they would fit very well, because of the heel... (you need something with a low profile, rounded heel, otherwise it's always a pain to fit in a boat. even if it fits, it'll tend to rest in an awkward position).

the mion tide scramble looks interesting, has anyone had experience with it?

http://www.backcountry.com/store/MIO...Shoe-Mens.html

how's the nrs attack shoe doing in terms of durability?
Old 10-03-2006   #9

Those mion's would not fit in an old schoot overflow, they are quite total baloons.
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006   #10
sj

Teva has a shoe that has a split toe(don't know the modle). I was given a pair by a rep this spring. They still look new after about 15 days and I expect to get years out of them. they might not be hard core enough for you but they are smallish and get good grip on the smooth friction type portages. Would be worth a look. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote