Creeker for 180 lbs - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-23-2015   #1

CCC, CO
Creeker for 180 lbs

I feel in between M and L on Creeker sizes.

My Mamba 8.1 is a great river runner, but the balance between back endering or diving my nose too deep is just a bit too tight on steeper creeks. It felt too small last week on 11Mile at high water.

Although I've never paddled one, Large Creekers (e.g. Recon 93) just seem huge to me...

It seems like either the Flying Squirrel M or Karma M may be a bit better for Colorado creeking at my weight range.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

benR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2015   #2

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
You could demo a Burn L. The new Burn L is designed for smaller boaters than previous generations. They basically down sized their boats by half a size with the Burn III.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I am about 190lbs if I am in shape and I was recently looking for a creekboat so I was in almost your exact same dilemma. After a lot of thinking and researching creekboats, I decided to buy a Karma M about 2 months ago.

I am currently about 205 so I am at the upper limit of the Karma M, but so far I really really like it. I have only ever paddled playboats and adjusting to the Karma was pretty easy.

The things I really like about it:
-Snaps into eddies like you wouldn't believe
-Despite snapping into eddies very easily, it is not overly edgy when you don't want it to be. I have never flipped due to catching edges in cross currents, boils, or crazy eddy lines. That being said, the boat doesn't completely ignore funny water, boils, and cross currents like the promos would lead you to be believe - it just doesn't get tripped up anywhere near as badly as other boats I have paddled.
-Boofs well
-Fast
-Rolls easily
-Despite being at the top of the weight range, the volume still keeps me out of trouble in nasty holes. The stern will just load up with water and spit me out of holes (as long as I hit them straight on).
-Basically, it is predictable and inspires confidence which is what I want in a creekboat.

Con:
-The bow grabs and locks into current sometimes when I don't want it to. This is probably a function of me being toward the top of the weight limit and also some user error.

All this being said, I have not demoed or even paddled any other creekboats so I don't have anything to compare the Karma M to.
BoozeJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2015   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
You could demo a Burn L. The new Burn L is designed for smaller boaters than previous generations. They basically down sized their boats by half a size with the Burn III.
I own a Burn 3 and they shifted weight range down, but I wouldn't suggest he try a large, I paddle one at 5'6" & 155 lbs. My suggestions would be an XL Burn 3, L Shiva, or Nomad 8.5. Jackson is good too, just not super familiar with their sizing.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015   #5

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
I own a Burn 3 and they shifted weight range down, but I wouldn't suggest he try a large, I paddle one at 5'6" & 155 lbs. My suggestions would be an XL Burn 3, L Shiva, or Nomad 8.5. Jackson is good too, just not super familiar with their sizing.
You are at the high range of a medium, and low range of a large. At 160 pounds, I was suggested to use a large. He should be right in the sweet spot for a large, listed at 154 - 220lbs.

Pyranha Burn III
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Go Big

I am 175 and have a Mamba 8.6. Last boat was Stomper 90. Neither feels at all too big. I think that the excess mass is offset by floating higher making the boat more nimble. Or maybe you just learn to paddle harder. Either way, pretty much everyone I know in our size range paddles a big boat because of the advantages in riding up over features and resurfacing. Hell, tony uses a Large Shiva and he doesn't even use a paddle.

If you want to disregard my advice and go med-large, consider a Nomad 8.5, or Flying Squirrel 85. Karma M might be good too, even though it is a Jackson.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
I'm 175 and I'm happy with my karma medium.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015   #8

I really liked the medium karma at 175 to 185. Now I'm in the large Zen and if you drive it it's a great boat that rewards aggression. I think you would want the large squirrel, burn or mamba.

Sent from my XT1254 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
You are at the high range of a medium, and low range of a large. At 160 pounds, I was suggested to use a large. He should be right in the sweet spot for a large, listed at 154 - 220lbs.

Pyranha Burn III
This may be true according to their recommended specifications, but I can tell you after paddling a medium Burn 2 for years and Pyranha as a whole for a decade that the large fits me like a dream, and I really think with 25+ extra lbs he will want more volume. Unless he is 180 5'5" .... I am assuming he is more like 5'8"+....
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015   #10

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I'm 175 and love my new Dagger Nomad 8.5. Just enough edge to be able to move laterally but soft enough to not get flipped on every eddyline or huge lateral wave.
joejacksonframing is offline   Reply With Quote