Creekboat for 6'5" (jefe?) - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-26-2007   #1

Arlington, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2003
Creekboat for 6'5" (jefe?)

I am 6'5" 210 lbs size 14 foot and have been playing for the last few years in a Jackson SuperFun (which has been a little big despite my best outfitting efforts...). I now need a creek boat, but I am having a trouble finding places to demo them where I am (arlington, VA).I am about to move to WV to do low water patrols on the Gauley/New for the National Park Service and I have been wanting to step up my game anyway. Anyone have suggestions of boats, I have been thinking Jefe or Jefe Grande? I don't know which one would fit better, or I have been a big fan of the Jackson boats but have heard very little on thier creekboats. Any suggestions on a starter Creek boat for creeking/big water (like the Gauley when it flows again?) for someone my size. Thanks-

simcoeom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2007   #2

Student
boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcoeom View Post
I am 6'5" 210 lbs size 14 foot and have been playing for the last few years in a Jackson SuperFun (which has been a little big despite my best outfitting efforts...). I now need a creek boat, but I am having a trouble finding places to demo them where I am (arlington, VA).I am about to move to WV to do low water patrols on the Gauley/New for the National Park Service and I have been wanting to step up my game anyway. Anyone have suggestions of boats, I have been thinking Jefe or Jefe Grande? I don't know which one would fit better, or I have been a big fan of the Jackson boats but have heard very little on thier creekboats. Any suggestions on a starter Creek boat for creeking/big water (like the Gauley when it flows again?) for someone my size. Thanks-
I would rule the Jefe out for your size. I'm 6'4 and it was a really tight squeeze. I have a really long inseam with size 12 feet and find it hard to fit comfortably in most boats. You should fit in the Jefe Grande though. I just got one and with a slight bulkhead modification (just put the smaller one in) (and cut a little foam from around my ankles) I fit in it fine. Also the Mega Rocker will easily fit you, It is slightly bigger than the Grande and has way more foot room for us tall guys. Maybe also check out the Dagger Mamba (big version) as it now has the stronger seat in it. It has tons of room. I would demo, they are all great boats. Atom
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #3

Arlington, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2003
Mega Rocker

The Mega Rocker does seem to be a good choice with the large volume to carry gear. Is the outfitting sufficient and secure? My 05 SuperFun seat has been falling apart and the HappyFeet sometimes leaves a little security to be desired when on larger water.
simcoeom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2007   #4

Student
its okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcoeom View Post
The Mega Rocker does seem to be a good choice with the large volume to carry gear. Is the outfitting sufficient and secure? My 05 SuperFun seat has been falling apart and the HappyFeet sometimes leaves a little security to be desired when on larger water.
I love the backband system, wish every company used it. I personally replace the hip pads and happy seat with my own foam creations. Just old school I guess, I like to have a custom fit for my skinny ass. I had an issue with the weld failing on the hinged bulkhead, but it may have just been a one time deal. I think Jackson still needs to work out a few outfitting kinks but overall the Kayak itself is great. Atom...
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #5

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
There is now a jefe grande, check out the LL website. I would demo both the big jefe and the megarocker and make an informed decision. No where to do it near you? Take a road trip.
Old 10-26-2007   #6

The next zone, .
Also look into a large burn... I am 6'5" with a 13 and she is comfy for me..
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #7

East Jordan, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
I'm 6'5 too and have had good luck with my Mega Rocker, but I have about 25 pounds on you. If you like Jackson boats and can wait, you might want to see what the new Super Hero is all about once it comes out. It looks like it might be a better big water boat than the Mega Rocker.
rm&p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #8

As stated above, the Jefe now comes in three sizes. Check out the Jefe Grande.
KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #9

The jefe grande is quite narrow. The boat is bigger, but they didn't really make any concession for getting in it. The cockpit seems to be the same size as the jefe. I couldn't get in it. I am bigger than you, but I wasn't even close. The Jackson Mega is huge, also no happy feet to deal with, it has an adjustable bulkhead. The dagger nomad 8.5 is huge as well. Just for saying it I'm 6'8", about 250, and size 15 feet. I paddle a Super Fun and a Mamba 8.5
brokenpaddlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 02
I'm six three and two fifty. I realy like paddling the mega rocker. That being said, at 210 you ought to be able to fit an extra paddler and all his/her gear in there. I did a self suport 5 day trip complet with a folding chair and a small bar out of it. It is frigg'n huge. it is rated to three hundred pounds, and may be a bit rough to paddle under weight. Again...demo,demo,demo. Good luck!
C-dub is offline   Reply With Quote