Creekboat Advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-12-2014   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Creekboat Advice

Basically looking to get much more into creeking and river running.

6'0, 220-230 depending on the season (save the fat jokes)

Non-playboats that I've tried:

Mamba 8.6 - Took it down upper Yaugh and upper Gauley - Hated it

Shiva L - Took it down Clear Creek from Kermits down to Golden PP excluding any of the V's - Absolutely loved it

I've heard the Nomad is really the standard, but I'm worried the 8.5 may not be enough boat for a big boy like me. Love the Shiva, but also not sure if the Large is too big.

TLDR; Looking for advice on a creekboat, solid class IV boater, minimum demo time. I know, have to demo boats but looking to get familiar with something before the season really kicks off.

muffinman2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014   #2
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
You liked the shiva why look elsewhere?
Old 03-12-2014   #3

Denver, Colorado
Excellent point, was initially my thought. I guess my question is if I would be able to get away with the M and what a smaller boat would mean. I've been playboating the majority of my kayaking career so I know how size of the boat affects performance in that world, less so in river running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
I'm 6'2", 195 and went from a LOT of years in the Nomad 8.5 to the Stomper 90. Got tired of sitting too low in the water in the Nomad once I had rescue gear and oftentimes multi-day gear loaded in to it. The Stomper is definitely a lot more buoyant, but I don't love it like I loved the Nomad. Wish they made a Nomad 8.9 or so, and it came in around 89-90gal.

I've been looking at the Mamba 8.6, and was curious why you "hated" it? Been rolling it effortlessly in the pool, but that doesn't count for much.

You guys must have an easier time getting Pyranha boats down there. There is no dealer in J-town, so haven't had a chance to try a Shiva.

I like the Jackson Karma hull design, paddled it once and enjoyed it. Just not a fan of Jackson's outfitting in their creekboats at all. Like a lot more "locked-in" feeling in the thighbraces and backband, and not at all sold on the breakaway bulkhead. There were a couple of Karma's returned to the local shop with seat systems completely broken free of the hull, too, which wasn't confidence-inspiring as to their durability.
Old 03-12-2014   #5

Denver, Colorado
@WyoPadlr1 - tbh, I didn't like the Mamba, but I'm not a great resource for that boat. I demo'ed it for a few big runs, but with essentially no time in a bigger boat before that. I felt like it was sluggish, unresponsive, tough to boof. Definitely easy to roll. At the time I chalked it up to not having any experience in a bigger boat, but as soon as I took out the Shiva, I felt like I could turn on a dime, boof with ease, etc.

So that's why I'm wondering if I could get away with the same response in a smaller Shiva, and if its the shape that makes the difference. But it sounds like its probably a combination of the two, so I'll probably just end up going with the large Shiva, and just make sure to pack on a few extra hamburgers or muscle, whichever's easier.

Also skeptical about Jackson creekboats, although I love my rockstar, so I don't know why I feel like that.
Old 03-12-2014   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Go with the large shiva. If that's what felt good to and you were comfortable, it will be good to you. I have a medium shiva and am only like 140 and think it's the perfect size. I know several guys who are in the 180 or so range and really like the large shiva. When the creekboat is too small for you, you will find it slow and sluggish, you'll get pushed around by the water and it won't boof well.
Just my 2 cents. Have fun!

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #7
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
A lower volume boat will get juiced more sitting low in the water but will also sub out nicer if the feature is too big to go over. The bigger boat can be hole bait but if since you stated you felt comfortable and could move the boat where you wanted that shouldn't be a huge factor. Being at the bottom of the weight range isn't terrible because you can add overnight gear without overloading the boat.
Old 03-12-2014   #8

Denver, Colorado
Solid advice - thanks guys! Confirmed what I was already thinking. Not to piggyback on that other guy's thread about moving into class V but I am also looking to move into it soon - thinking about starting off on black rock, so if anybody feels comfortable taking me down it id love to take a crack at it some point this season.
Old 03-12-2014   #9

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
[QUOTE=muffinman2233;350913
Also skeptical about Jackson creekboats, although I love my rockstar, so I don't know why I feel like that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is me, too. I have a 4-Fun and an AllStar, love 'em both. Just don't like their whole inside setup for creeking. Like the more solid idea of ratcheting backbands, bolted bulkheads, and thighbraces that are adjustable and much more aggressive. I know there are a lot of people who swear by Jackson creekboats, and the Karma is a sweet hull design... I think I'd paddle a Karma, if I could put Dagger or WaveSport outfitting inside of it.

Wish I could find a Shiva to demo, too. Seems like a LOT of people are really sold on it.